Carputer -update

neo-ninja

Hi All,

After installing rear parking sensors i fancy another little project and am thinking about a Carputer, i have seen a few threads on here and other site but really was wondering some of the below questions:

I fancy using a laptop as my "carputer" as this means i take away and use it when not at home, what does this mean interms of auto turning on when ignition starts etc?

If i use a laptop i think i should still be able to use a touchscreen in the center console i just need to wire the screen in but how do i route the cables to the box behind the passenger seat?

Is it worth considering the connection to the car ecu to get readout etc or is this just a pointless waste of time?

am i being mad and really should i just buy an ipad and make it fit in the dash?

ah interesting I will have to follow it, do you still not think its cheaper to use a laptop? and connect that to a touchscreen?

A decent enough laptop with ample power to do what needs to be done, can be picked up for £150-300 from MCS and then you have the option of using it should you need it outside the car?

ah interesting I will have to follow it, do you still not think its cheaper to use a laptop? and connect that to a touchscreen?

A decent enough laptop with ample power to do what needs to be done, can be picked up for £150-300 from MCS and then you have the option of using it should you need it outside the car?

MCS?

yeah the refurb dell warehouse site... basically evertime you order a dell you have a 15 day cool off period, all the pcs that people buy then dont want Dell cant sell as new so MCS sell cheaper as refub you still get 3 years dell warranty on most etc..

Really good site.

yeah the refurb dell warehouse site... basically evertime you order a dell you have a 15 day cool off period, all the pcs that people buy then dont want Dell cant sell as new so MCS sell cheaper as refub you still get 3 years dell warranty on most etc..

Really good site.

so like their outlet sites? Can you popst a linky?

ipad!

How odd! your message never appeared... I am tempted to try it with an Ipad as then it saves the hastle of wiring etc... i havent messured anything though so no idea even if it would fit, probably not.

I just dont like the idea of spending money on something that potentially wont be that used where as if I used a laptop of ipad, i could take them out and use them when i wasnt in the car..

So a quick update i have managed to source the below parts for my carputer:

Lilliput 7" touch screen £140

The pc - £150

mini itx board

intel atom dual core 1.6bghz processor

500gb hdd

2gb ram

case

Extras

dc-dc power supply - so the pc will boot and shut down correctly- £20

windows 7 - student edition - £35

Usb 5m cable - £5

hdmi 5m cable - £5

So the total is around £355 which seems like quite alot for a car pc (you could probably build a basic pc or use a oldish laptop for around £100-£50) - im also wondering do i need to buy something special to get the screen to fit in the dash as some of the guides say you need to buy the mechanical gps dash cubby others dont say anything - any ideas?

Also what about routing cables to glove box behind passanger seat? any diagrams?

So a quick update i have managed to source the below parts for my carputer:

Lilliput 7" touch screen £140

The pc - £150

mini itx board

intel atom dual core 1.6bghz processor

500gb hdd

2gb ram

case

Extras

dc-dc power supply - so the pc will boot and shut down correctly- £20

windows 7 - student edition - £35

Usb 5m cable - £5

hdmi 5m cable - £5

So the total is around £355 which seems like quite alot for a car pc (you could probably build a basic pc or use a oldish laptop for around £100-£50) - im also wondering do i need to buy something special to get the screen to fit in the dash as some of the guides say you need to buy the mechanical gps dash cubby others dont say anything - any ideas?

Also what about routing cables to glove box behind passanger seat? any diagrams?

from what I read it slots but sometimes they talk about taking off the frame on the putty screen... need to get my ass in gear and sort this out myself... think I'll get a lappy...

from what I read it slots but sometimes they talk about taking off the frame on the putty screen... need to get my ass in gear and sort this out myself... think I'll get a lappy...

But this is what i cant work out can you just use the standard cubby or do you need to buy effectivly the one that is used for the OEM satnav without the satnav? I cant find the answer to that anywhere?

Also laptop i think potentially is one of the best options as then it gives you the abilty to take it out and about when you want it etc..im seriously considering doing it with a laptop instead of an inbuilt pc..

But this is what i cant work out can you just use the standard cubby or do you need to buy effectivly the one that is used for the OEM satnav without the satnav? I cant find the answer to that anywhere?

Also laptop i think potentially is one of the best options as then it gives you the abilty to take it out and about when you want it etc..im seriously considering doing it with a laptop instead of an inbuilt pc..

I'm sure I found something about this somewhere, will have a dig.

Another update just discovered this is what i need to buy to get screen in and fitted....annoyingly its not too cheap... not sure if another trader on here sells but if not if you want to do any sort of in cubby screen action you need one of these:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=4445

B) mine has that cubby standard, look for a 02, 03 cubby online second hand though.