tappet noise

Greeny

Right folks the last week or so my motor has developed a fairly loud tappety noise.. now ive read about on here at the various tappet niose threads.

now there is plenty of oil in her and always has been she had a service the other week in which 5w-30 was pumped into her.

shes got just over 100k on the clock now.

is it likely to be the valve buckets common on these engines? if so is it a dear fix? coz if it is dear! i might look at upgrading the heads instead of shelling out all that cash for standard stuff...

your opinions please :D

Cheers

Right folks the last week or so my motor has developed a fairly loud tappety noise.. now ive read about on here at the various tappet niose threads.

now there is plenty of oil in her and always has been she had a service the other week in which 5w-30 was pumped into her.

is it likely to be the valve buckets common on these engines? if so is it a dear fix? coz if it is dear! i might look at upgrading the heads instead of shelling out all that cash for standard stuff...

Cheers

what oil is it your using at the moment? Develope tapping after a while when oil has been in the engine for a while, find the redline a bit louder then other oils I've tried, currently running motul 5-30 fully synth in her and she's running great :)

Cheers

If the "tappet" noise has only developed since the service I would be leaning towards the oil that they put in.

However at 100,000 miles then there will be some wear and tear on the engine and if the noise is tappet/cam/bucket wear then this can turn out to be an expensive fix.

Upgrading the heads on a NA engine will give you very small beneficial power returns.

I do have spare low mileage cyl. heads in stock complete with valves, cams, buckets etc. :thumbs:

If I can help further then drop me a pm.

Alex. :)