Tracker - Is it worth it?

Posidrive

Been listening to radio ads fro Tracker systems this morning and was wondering if anyone has had one installed? If so, what sort of insurance discount did you get?

I'm not sure that the sums add up or even if I would want the car back if it had been stolen and thrashed by joy riders.

The only reason I have one on one of my cars is that the insurance demands it.

The cost for me was something like £150 activation (transferring the tracker details into my name) and I think its £200 a year or something like that. I very much doubt that insurers will reduce the premium for a Z by that much for having a tracker, so it boils down to how much you would like to get your car back if it were stolen.

The cars that have insurance premiums of a level which "could" be reduced by £200 for having a tracker, will probably be on the list of cars that have a tracker as a mandatory requirement for insurance anyway. So as above, unless you are desperate not to lose your car and have to replace it with the payout in the event of theft then I wouldn't bother.

I have one on my car (was there when I bought the Z), costs about £125-150 per year and I only get about £20 off my insurance per year so financially it makes little sense. Also, if someone steals my car I'm not sure I'd want it back, at least it wouldn't feel the same afterwards... I suppose it may save an insurance claim if you get it back in good condition so could save money on future premiums I guess.

When I was phoning to insure my Porsche the insurance company asked if the car had one fitted, I said no, they said there were good savings to be made from having one fitted.

I asked them what the "good savings" were, £20.00 per year. So I had to spend £500 to save £20.00! Hmmm so in 25 years time it would start to pay for itself. Guess what I didn't bother.

If you do decide to get one installed check with your insurer which systems they accept. Tracker isn't the only one out there even though it does have the "generic" name. The last time I checked Tracker won't let you transfer from one vehicle to another, other sytems will and therefore is a better option as you pay for deinstall/reinstall rather than complete new system and subscription. :)