Rust issue...

djrm

Hi everyone

I went around to Nurrish's place last night to have my satnav unit fitted and we found something a bit strange... As you can see from the images below, the frame behind my dash seems to be quite badly rusted!! :scare:

When I bought the car a month ago I checked everywhere for rust but obviously you can't really see into the dash...

Any ideas what could cause that? We thought it could be something air-con related? I did notice once some slight moisture on the centre vents while I had the air-con on... Could it be that maybe the previous owner drove everywhere with the aircon on and those vents shut causing condensation to appear behind the dash?

Any help would be appreciated! :wacko:

8d0a08cd.jpg

20ee6d73.jpg

785993f0.jpg

Yes a very strange one indeed..... :bangin:

It went as far back as the top of gear mount fixings. I would like to know what has caused this also...but as we said last night its probably been like this for sometime and the previous owner was probably unaware of what was going on behind there.

+1 - it could have been in a water incident like Nixy's :p

Try to look at some metal elsewhere on the car - like the floor sills etc to see if that has the same look?

Otherwise has the windscreen been replaced at some point and the muppet has'nt filled it correctly - hence water leaking past the seals ?

This is all covered still by Nissan's bodywork warranty so get to a stealers.

Does the car smell damp at all ? Wet dog smell?

Bounty - There is no history of water or flood damage, but I guess that doesn't mean there wasn't any.... You never know a car's true past!

Stanski - What happened to Nixy's?? I thought it could be the windscreen seals, how would I check?? Do I need to take the dash out? Car doesn't smell at all, and the footwells are never wet, nothing in the car is ever wet or smelling wet... And I drove through a TORRENT of rain to get home last night - no wetness in the footwells etc at all...

So even though the car is not new it will still be covered by Nissan?? Should I take it down to a Nissan dealer??

Unfortunately I dont have my Zed anymore so cant check the screen area but guessing its a plastic cover where the wipers are you would need to take that off (and the wiper arms) to see if there is any water damage - or obvious gunge underneath?

Personally I would'nt bother - I would go to a Nissan dealer and get them to check it over for you - the body is covered for 12 year anti rust warranty regardless who owns it so see what they say. It wont cost you or the stealers anything to sort anyway .... let us know how you get on.

:thumbs:

Unfortunately I dont have my Zed anymore so cant check the screen area but guessing its a plastic cover where the wipers are you would need to take that off (and the wiper arms) to see if there is any water damage - or obvious gunge underneath?

Personally I would'nt bother - I would go to a Nissan dealer and get them to check it over for you - the body is covered for 12 year anti rust warranty regardless who owns it so see what they say. It wont cost you or the stealers anything to sort anyway .... let us know how you get on.

:thumbs:

Wicked!

I will pop down to Nissan... ;)