Possible problem for people with imports

nixy

I just had an amendment on my policy and when the paperwork came i noticed a clause that i had not spotted before. It said that in the event of a total loss they would pay the cost of the car in the country it originated OR the UK equivalent whichever is the less.

If my car was a total loss and they gave me the value that i could buy it for IN JAPAN, it may as well not be insured. It needs to be the value of buying an import in the UK. When I bought my car many moons ago it was £15k - only £11k ish of that was the purchase price in Japan because they are so cheap there - the rest was the other associated costs of importing etc. I'm estimating my car now in Japan would be worth about £5k!

I am insured through Chris Knott and have put a PM in to Tim to ask him the question. If i'm reading that right then i'll need to cancel and go elsewhere.

I would advise any import owners to go and check the small print on their policy!