Number plate size change

M9O OEY

Hi all :thumbs:

I have a 53 plate import , and for my birthday im getting a private plate but I'll need to change the shape or it won't read my nickname :surrender: . Is it ok to change the front from the squareish plate to the normal plate it will be 6 characters long I know the back plate will be a problem . Is it ok to do this ? Are there any legalities I should look out for? Has anyone overcome the problem with the back plate ?

Many thanks :D

There are loads of threads about plate sizes on here ......... do a search ..... basically the plate has to conform to BS Au 145d .......... that's standard font, standard spacing, standard 11mm border all round

Buy from a website and they will ensure it's within the law unless you specify a show plate

Each character must be 79mm high and 50mm wide (except the number 1 or the letter I). The width of each character stroke must be 14mm. There must be a space of 11mm between characters within the same group, and character groups must be 33mm apart. For the purposes of measurement, each character (again, excepting the number 1 or the letter I), regardless of its shape, is treated as a rectangular block of dimensions 79mm x 50mm

The industry standard size front number plate is 520 mm × 111 mm (20½" × 4⅜"). Rear plates are either the same size, or 285 mm × 203 mm or 533 mm × 152 mm. There is no specified legal size for a number plate. For example, the rear number plate of a Rover 75 is 635 mm x 175 mm. However, all number plates must adhere to British Standard BS AU 145d, which must be marked on the plate, along with the name and postcode of the manufacturer and the supplier of the plates.

To summarise, your number plate should show the correct:

* character height - 79 millimetres

* character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)

* character stroke - 14 millimetres

* space between characters - 11 millimetres

* space between groups - 33 millimetres

* top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres

* space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

so for my plate 'A7 TAK' minimum size is:

width = 11+50+11+50+33+50+11+50+11+50+11 = 338 mm

height = 11+79+11 = 101 mm

and for a 6 digit plate like yours:

width = (6x50) + (6x11) + 33 =399 mm

height = 11+79+11 = 101 mm

IMG_0052.jpg?t=1283972798

simples

Thanks ATTAK Z for the info :thumbs: there's some great advice, but to change the size of the import front plate would i need to change the fixing plate behind the plate ? if I put a normal size plate on it I'm pretty sure the fixing plate would be showing.

Thanks

newbie :thumbs:

Thanks ATTAK Z for the info :thumbs: there's some great advice, but to change the size of the import front plate would i need to change the fixing plate behind the plate ? if I put a normal size plate on it I'm pretty sure the fixing plate would be showing.

Thanks

newbie :thumbs:

Remove the backplate at the front and use double sided tape or silicone to fix your new plate directly to the bumper :thumbs: