Is a Special Tool Required?

SteveW

My wheel bearing has gone and I am think of doing the majority of it myself just find a garage to put the new bearing on, or use the press at work.

However, I've just been reading the service manual and point 8 has me a little confused. In the service manual the axle is referred to as the large cast item that all the suspension links etc mount to and the driveshaft passes through before going into the wheel hub. (I woul dcall this the hub carrier??)

Anyway point 8 -

REMOVAL

1. Remove tire with power tool.

2. Remove cotter pin. Then remove lock nut from drive shaft.

3. Remove brake caliper with power tool. Hang it in a place where it will not interfere with work. Refer to BR-

38, "REAR DISC BRAKE (AD14VE TYPE)" , BR-44, "REAR DISC BRAKE (OPB13VB TYPE)" .

CAUTION:

Avoid depressing brake pedal while brake caliper is removed.

4. Remove disc rotor and remove parking cable and parking brake shoe from back plate. Refer to PB-4,

"PARKING BRAKE CONTROL" , PB-5, "PARKING BRAKE SHOE" .

5. Remove fixing bolts and nuts in axle side of radius rod, front lower link with power tool.

6. Remove fixing bolt and nut in axle side of rear lower link with power tool. Then remove coil spring. Refer to

RSU-15, "REAR LOWER LINK & COIL SPRING" .

7. Remove fixing bolt and nut in axle side of shock absorber with power tool.

8. Using a puller (suitable tool), remove axle from drive shaft.

So my question is a puller needed? If so what type of puller should I get, I really have no idea. I'm pretty handy and I'm sure I could work it out when all dismantled I just want to try and get everything sorted before I start. I would have thought the drive shaft would be free and loose or is there a sleeve around the end of the drive shaft that is a tight fit into the axle/hub carrier?

As such is it a hub puller i require?

Thank you

Steve

My wheel bearing has gone and I am think of doing the majority of it myself just find a garage to put the new bearing on, or use the press at work.

However, I've just been reading the service manual and point 8 has me a little confused. In the service manual the axle is referred to as the large cast item that all the suspension links etc mount to and the driveshaft passes through before going into the wheel hub. (I woul dcall this the hub carrier??)

Anyway point 8 -

REMOVAL

1. Remove tire with power tool.

2. Remove cotter pin. Then remove lock nut from drive shaft.

3. Remove brake caliper with power tool. Hang it in a place where it will not interfere with work. Refer to BR-

38, "REAR DISC BRAKE (AD14VE TYPE)" , BR-44, "REAR DISC BRAKE (OPB13VB TYPE)" .

CAUTION:

Avoid depressing brake pedal while brake caliper is removed.

4. Remove disc rotor and remove parking cable and parking brake shoe from back plate. Refer to PB-4,

"PARKING BRAKE CONTROL" , PB-5, "PARKING BRAKE SHOE" .

5. Remove fixing bolts and nuts in axle side of radius rod, front lower link with power tool.

6. Remove fixing bolt and nut in axle side of rear lower link with power tool. Then remove coil spring. Refer to

RSU-15, "REAR LOWER LINK & COIL SPRING" .

7. Remove fixing bolt and nut in axle side of shock absorber with power tool.

8. Using a puller (suitable tool), remove axle from drive shaft.

So my question is a puller needed? If so what type of puller should I get, I really have no idea. I'm pretty handy and I'm sure I could work it out when all dismantled I just want to try and get everything sorted before I start. I would have thought the drive shaft would be free and loose or is there a sleeve around the end of the drive shaft that is a tight fit into the axle/hub carrier?

As such is it a hub puller i require?

Thank you

Steve

Steve,

You do not require to carry out most of the stuff that you have listed above.

Providing you have the tools to access the 4 bolts securing the hub then very little stripping is required.

I have never had to use a puller although the inner part of the bearing may be very tight on the sleeve.