Oulton Park ate my Wheel Bearing

SteveW

Oh dear, had a cracking day at Oulton Park but coming home I noticed some odd noise from the rear left wheel.

I checked the wheel bearing when I got back and it is well screwed up. Loads and loads of play.

Going to be ringing around garages tomorrow to find a price to have it done. I would have a bash myself but don't have the time, special tools or a big monster press. Any ideas of what price I should expect??

Cheers

Steve

Oh dear, had a cracking day at Oulton Park but coming home I noticed some odd noise from the rear left wheel.

I checked the wheel bearing when I got back and it is well screwed up. Loads and loads of play.

Going to be ringing around garages tomorrow to find a price to have it done. I would have a bash myself but don't have the time, special tools or a big monster press. Any ideas of what price I should expect??

Cheers

Steve

Here you go Steve.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=28625

Hi Alex thanks very much.

Would you recommend I replace the axle as well as the bearing? Only reason I ask is that when I replaced only the bearing on my Celica GT4 the thing failed again in about 8 months.

Maybe I can do all the strip work myself and just get a garage to remove my old bearing and put on the new one?

just buy a hub puller and a ball joint separator, maybe a day off work is required.... didn't realise the bearing alone would be around £80 yikes!

Thank you

Steve

ooops...i would expect the front left to go first from that hairpin. hope you get it sorted soon m8.

Thanks mate, I do too I need the car for work it is also my daily driver and living in the sticks ten miles from work I have two options until it is fixed:

1) Push bike (which is fine praying for a dry week)

2) Walk an hour to get a bus.... lol

The hairpin is class. To be honest I think Gerrards at Mallory Park did all the damage, it then got worse at Cadwell and today it said I've had enough!

Cheers

Hi Alex thanks very much.

Would you recommend I replace the axle as well as the bearing? Only reason I ask is that when I replaced only the bearing on my Celica GT4 the thing failed again in about 8 months.

Maybe I can do all the strip work myself and just get a garage to remove my old bearing and put on the new one?

just buy a hub puller and a ball joint separator, maybe a day off work is required.... didn't realise the bearing alone would be around £80 yikes!

Thank you

Steve

Steve,

The bearing does not come on its own mate, what you get is in the picture which is a bearing and hub.

I know that Nissan when replacing the rear bearing/hub, usually also quote for a hub carrier as well which is around £250.00 approx. :scare:

Alex.

Steve,

The bearing does not come on its own mate, what you get is in the picture which is a bearing and hub.

I know that Nissan when replacing the rear bearing/hub, usually also quote for a hub carrier as well which is around £250.00 approx. :scare:

Alex.

Yes sorry mate, I realised it was the hub and the bearing after I wrote the response. :doh:

It doesn't make sense why Nissan would quote for a new carrier as well??? I could understand a new axle because sometimes the axle is too worn.

Really considering having a go myself. Just need a hub puller to get the axle off and a ball joint separator to get the hub carrier off. We've got some presses at work I can use just a question of having the right drift to put the new bearing on.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Alex.

Yes sorry mate, I realised it was the hub and the bearing after I wrote the response. :doh:

It doesn't make sense why Nissan would quote for a new carrier as well??? I could understand a new axle because sometimes the axle is too worn.

Really considering having a go myself. Just need a hub puller to get the axle off and a ball joint separator to get the hub carrier off. We've got some presses at work I can use just a question of having the right drift to put the new bearing on.

Cheers

Steve

The bearing/hub runs on the hub carrier or sometimes referred to as a sleeve.

There is no axle as such on the 350Z.

This should be the only issue that you have as the inner part of the bearing is a tight fit on the "sleeve" and you will not know if this is worn/damaged untill you get the bearing off.

Bearings/hubs in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex.

Steve,

Alex.

Cheers

Steve

The bearing/hub runs on the hub carrier or sometimes referred to as a sleeve.

There is no axle as such on the 350Z.

This should be the only issue that you have as the inner part of the bearing is a tight fit on the "sleeve" and you will not know if this is worn/damaged untill you get the bearing off.

Bearings/hubs in stock and good to go same/next day.

Alex.

Sorry Alex, think it was a confusion over terminology for various parts, when I say the axle I meant the wheel hub (the part with the wheel studs pressed into it, I think you referred to this as the sleeve?).

Hub carrier I assume you mean the part the hub and bearing sub assembly bolts to (links the top and bottom arms of the suspension together called axle in the Nissan Service mnaual (item 4))

LOL Very confusing.

I will drop you a PM should I need a bearing/hub assembly when I've made my mind up if I'm gonna have a go myself.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Steve

Glad you had a good day at Oulton. Was it with Sarah Hutchinson?

Hi mate, yes it was a cracking day, best part for me was a massive tank slapper that I managed to keep on track.

Passenger was very impressed considering he had been looking out of his window in the direction we were supposed to be going. Lol.

I was with Javelin Trackdays.

Cheers

Steve

Car is now fixed, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Was quite an easy job really, think it was just the pressing of the bearing that was concerning me.

It turns out reassembly of the suspension components was the hardest part.

Thanks to ZMANALEX for all the help and the parts. :#1:

Cheers

Steve