Need help diagnosing a few car noises please

kustard

I've been meaning to post for a while about a few noises with the car that ideally I'd like to get sorted at my next service in a few hundred miles, but could do some help identifying what the possibly could be! They're as follows:

Noise 1

This is just a bit of cabin noise really. It comes from the passenger door at around 20 - 50mph on rougher road surfaces (must be the right resonance i guess) It's kind of a monotonous rattle, but if I press firmly on the plastic of the armrest (i.e the bit with the electric windows switch in it) or the bit underneath it, the noise stops momentarily.

Noise 2

Every morning, when I initially start the car and hang a left out of my road, I can hear a momentary sound of grating metal that seems to come from the front passenger wheel area. It's nothing too drastic, and after that it doesn`t happen again until I leave the car parked for a bit and make my first 'full left' turn again. This started happening since I had my new clutch fitted, but that could easily just be co-incidence.

Noise 3

This is the most recent one, and most annoying. I think it might be bearings, but I'm no mechanic. Basically it can only be described as a dull throbbing sound that seems to come from the front driver wheel. The sound speeds up and slows down with the car and seems to be in time with the rotation of the wheels.

Any that's it! I'm really just hoping maybe some of these are recongised issues or people have had them before and can shed some more light. Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

A

I've been meaning to post for a while about a few noises with the car that ideally I'd like to get sorted at my next service in a few hundred miles, but could do some help identifying what the possibly could be! They're as follows:

Noise 1

This is just a bit of cabin noise really. It comes from the passenger door at around 20 - 50mph on rougher road surfaces (must be the right resonance i guess) It's kind of a monotonous rattle, but if I press firmly on the plastic of the armrest (i.e the bit with the electric windows switch in it) or the bit underneath it, the noise stops momentarily.

Noise 2

Every morning, when I initially start the car and hang a left out of my road, I can hear a momentary sound of grating metal that seems to come from the front passenger wheel area. It's nothing too drastic, and after that it doesn`t happen again until I leave the car parked for a bit and make my first 'full left' turn again. This started happening since I had my new clutch fitted, but that could easily just be co-incidence.

Noise 3

This is the most recent one, and most annoying. I think it might be bearings, but I'm no mechanic. Basically it can only be described as a dull throbbing sound that seems to come from the front driver wheel. The sound speeds up and slows down with the car and seems to be in time with the rotation of the wheels.

Any that's it! I'm really just hoping maybe some of these are recongised issues or people have had them before and can shed some more light. Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

A

Hi,

Nr1. You didn't say if your car was a coupe or roadster if it's a roadster the chassis will have a little bit more flex in it probably causing the door to rattle not sure about the coupe though.

Nr2 check your inner wheel arch is not rubbing on the tyre on full lock or put on full left lock then look under the car to see if the tyre is touching anything.

Nr3 It does sound like a wheel bearing a quick check is jack the front so the wheel is off the ground get your hands round the back of the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and see if you have any play in the wheel then try 12 and 6 o'clock and again see if you have any play in the wheel, failing that take the car to a garage that you know they should be able to tell. :thumbs:

Pinching the thread... but only slightly :blush:

I have a noise that comes from behind me ... all the time.

Sounds like a stereo is on, with no "sound" just a slight quiet electrical hiss.

Anyone?

amp is always on so you do get a bit of hiss throught the speakers. Also fuel pump is in the boot so you can here the whine from that. Tonneau cover helps to block some of the sound from the pump

How random i was going to post up about car noise. Somthing i noticed with mine is it make a lovely noise when up to around 5k revs but after that i start to get a bit of what i can only call a rasp. Now i thought nothing of it, and to be honest it does sound like your giving it the beans and on the verge of chaning gear. (and mean!) But then i watched a video on youtube of a stock car just like mine and it sounded like it had that roar all the way up to the red line and no rasp....

Thoughts?

mines a 2005 stock car

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this to help out anyone with similar issues - yes it was the passenger front side bearings that were the culprit. I've had these replaced (well the whole hub) and now noises 2 and 3 have gone - and also the interior rattling randomly seems to have gone, which maybe is down to a change in the resonance created by the old bearings? But what do I know!

Anyway, I'm happy at least!! :)