Cooling ducts/pipes and brackets fitted and tested

trackpig

I tried to mount the pipe to the caliper with tie wraps and other methods but found I could not get a strong enough fix. This is why I went for the plate- it holds the pipe right into the hub of the disc without rubbing on it. This allows the air to flow through the internal vanes of the disc and cool the whole disc rather than just one face of it.

:dummy:

Nice constructive post, well done. :thumbs:

I genuinely am interested in your idea. I look forward to seeing the results.

I tried to mount the pipe to the caliper with tie wraps and other methods but found I could not get a strong enough fix. This is why I went for the plate- it holds the pipe right into the hub of the disc without rubbing on it. This allows the air to flow through the internal vanes of the disc and cool the whole disc rather than just one face of it.

:dummy:

Nice constructive post, well done. :thumbs:

I genuinely am interested in your idea. I look forward to seeing the results.

:lol: Sorry I missed the part where you said it goes into the middle... but you got non standard discs do you?

Picture017.jpg

sorry looking again at that photo it doesnt look like you're aiming that to the middle part of the disc, can see it's oem type disc too..

If you get under your car, you will see the shape of the splash gaurd- its cut away just under the caliper. Its here you can see the inner of the disc hub. I have set the pipe so the air is directed here.

Its not possible to see the spot in the pic as the pipe is covering it.

cheers trackpig, dont have that splash guard I think so thats why I wondered. Whats the chances of it firstly not raining tomororw and secondly that I'll get time to fit my braided lines front, flush the system with some motul 660 and setup some air ducts... :dry: when you said that they didn't hold up without making that braket how long did they actually hold up? :blush:

I fixed the pipes in place with tie wraps first but found they moved when the front wheels were turned via the steering wheel. Turning the wheels was pulling and pushing on the pipes and causing the pipe to pull away from the inside of the disc's hub, rendering them less effective.

The brackets/ plates fix this problem.

---------------------------

Are you only fitting braided lines to the front brakes?

I have only ever fitted braided lines to all corners due to the way the hydraulic circuit is with two diagonal systems. With braided lines only on the front, the rubbrer lines on the rear can still expand and give a poor pedal feel.

Sorry if I am telling you what you all ready know.

I fixed the pipes in place with tie wraps first but found they moved when the front wheels were turned via the steering wheel. Turning the wheels was pulling and pushing on the pipes and causing the pipe to pull away from the inside of the disc's hub, rendering them less effective.

The brackets/ plates fix this problem.

---------------------------

Are you only fitting braided lines to the front brakes?

I have only ever fitted braided lines to all corners due to the way the hydraulic circuit is with two diagonal systems. With braided lines only on the front, the rubbrer lines on the rear can still expand and give a poor pedal feel.

Sorry if I am telling you what you all ready know.

thanks mate I knew that I need to swap all four corners out... did the rears a while back and didnt get a chance to do the front since I needed to cut out the rear shield (took 2 hours per corner I'd say!) Might get a chance to do a writeup on it too :D Cool re pipes as long as it doesn't fall off into the wheel :D

• 8 months later...

After seeing this thread and seeing the american carbon fiber ducts I decided to have a bash myself. I used aluminium pipe and angle bar so it weighs practically nothing.

IMG_1311.jpg

The gap is as small as possible.

IMG_1307.jpg

Abit out of focus but you can still see the gap by the vents

IMG_1304.jpg

I maximised the space as much as I could

IMG_1302.jpg

Just waiting for the ducting to attach.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
After seeing this thread and seeing the american carbon fiber ducts I decided to have a bash myself. I used aluminium pipe and angle bar so it weighs practically nothing.

IMG_1311.jpg

The gap is as small as possible.

IMG_1307.jpg

Abit out of focus but you can still see the gap by the vents

IMG_1304.jpg

I maximised the space as much as I could

IMG_1302.jpg

Just waiting for the ducting to attach.

Mark

Looks like you have a tricky design there!

Any more pics with the tubing/pipe fitted?

• 2 weeks later...

LOL I will be back home on Monday to carry on with it. I will be changing the alluminium brace for steel for stiffness. I am trying to get hold of the piping right now. I will keep this updated with my progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have finished. My order was messed up and I only got a meter of pipe so I had to make do for the trackday I have coming up. Like I said I changed out the aluminium with steel flat bar. Good call I think because it is much stiffer. I spent a few hours on it but only because my drill bits were blunt. It wasnt that hard to do tbh.

Could do with a lick of paint mind :)

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

As simple as it seems to just mirror one side to the other it is quite difficult and as a result both sides are different from each other. Using steel pipe instead of aluminium may help there and alu doesnt shape too well before cracking. You get one shot. I also did not weld anything. I made it work at the end of the day so I aint complaining :yahoo:

Thanks for looking and thanks to trackpig for the idea.