Alarming fuel discovery!

chrisjones6699

Last time I filled up, I only filled 3/4's of a tank and I have just done exactly the same amount of miles as I would have done with a full tank!! My style in driving didn't change either. I know fuel is heavy but surly a quarter of a tank wouldn't cause that much of a difference in mileage? Could I really save myself £20 every time i fill up from now on? :shrug:

I normally fill to the brim and that costs me £80, that gets me about 340 miles. I put in £60 and i'm at about 270 miles now with about another 50miles left in the tank.

I do a lot of motorway miles and obviously if i drive at 60-70, I'll get far more miles but I drive at 70-80...ish and its mad how much difference in makes to mpg.

Last time I filled up, I only filled 3/4's of a tank and I have just done exactly the same amount of miles as I would have done with a full tank!! My style in driving didn't change either. I know fuel is heavy but surly a quarter of a tank wouldn't cause that much of a difference in mileage? Could I really save myself £20 every time i fill up from now on? :shrug:

The gauges are "weighted". After only a few miles mine shows 3/4 full after putting in a full tank. If you put "3/4" of a tank in, I bet it was nearly full.

Don't judge your mpg by them. Judge it by the trip computer

The gauges are "weighted". After only a few miles mine shows 3/4 full after putting in a full tank. If you put "3/4" of a tank in, I bet it was nearly full.

But £80 fills it up and £60 takes it 3/4.

My fuel gauge has been playing up a little lately though. Its a bit erratic! One minute it will say full and the next its down to 3/4 and then back up again!?

My fuel gauge has been playing up a little lately though. Its a bit erratic! One minute it will say full and the next its down to 3/4 and then back up again!?

All you can do then is just re-set the trip every time you fill up and keep a note of how much you put in and whether putting less in effects the mpg.

Mine is at 7.9 km/l (that's 18.5 mpg) whatever I do. :scare:

I can't believe i just had to check what day it is........that should tell you something! :lol: It would be nice if the less you put in the more miles you got though! I average about 8-9km per litre. 10 - 11 on long motorway drives.

The most accurate way of measuring this is to fill the tank up to the top...record mileage on car drive car... fill car up to the top look at how many litres you got in the tank and look how many miles you got on the trip...

TRIPA - TRIPB = TRIP

TRIP / GAL = MPG

Simples :teeth:

A lot of fuel gauges move with the fuel and also reflect the 'economy' the car is experiencing. It doesn't take much to consume fuel in a Zed - I have done nearly a quarter of a tank just moving mine in and out of the garage for cleaning / waxing sessions (over time, not in one go!)

You need to do a track day. £80 - 75 miles. About 5 mpg.

every day is a track day :teeth:

chris, you started an MGP thread, greatest of sins :scare: red firey place for you once you pop your clogs now.

the fuel guage is a load of cack, i have done 100 miles on "empty" before, not something i want to repeat but was unnavoidable at the time, although makes me stress less when the light comes on knowing i could probably get to the other side of london on it.

You need to do a track day. £80 - 75 miles. About 5 mpg.

every day is a track day :teeth:

chris, you started an MGP thread, greatest of sins :scare: red firey place for you once you pop your clogs now.

the fuel guage is a load of cack, i have done 100 miles on "empty" before, not something i want to repeat but was unnavoidable at the time, although makes me stress less when the light comes on knowing i could probably get to the other side of london on it.

......but......i.....didnt mention mpg! :( I just wanted to share my discovery! :( I dont want to go to hell for that! That seems rather unfair! :thumbdown:

:lol::lol: