Loads of Revs but no Go...!

350pete

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought the new auto box this morning - fingers crossed it all works. arranged to get delivered to a local transmission place who say they'll do the job for £330plus VAT.

Fingers crossed - lets see what happens next week.

Thanks all for your advice

bought the new auto box this morning - fingers crossed it all works. arranged to get delivered to a local transmission place who say they'll do the job for £330plus VAT.

Fingers crossed - lets see what happens next week.

Thanks all for your advice

:thumbs: keep us posted

hi chris - no i haven't - when the problem got so much worse i decided it was best to assume worst case scenario. the new box was a good price and available there and then.

plus the disassembly & troubleshooting labour was going to be so expensive and the overhaul kits/parts were hundreds I am hoping I will have made the right choice. am thinking i could sell duff box on ebay as spares for other 5at owners

peter

hi chris - no i haven't - when the problem got so much worse i decided it was best to assume worst case scenario. the new box was a good price and available there and then.

plus the disassembly & troubleshooting labour was going to be so expensive and the overhaul kits/parts were hundreds I am hoping I will have made the right choice. am thinking i could sell duff box on ebay as spares for other 5at owners

peter

Before getting it swapped - work through the diagnosis parts of the manual i attached - It may be somethign as simple as to replace the fluid etc. You can do the steps in the manual yourself i would think.

e.g. excerpt from the manual - it mentions slipping!

Fail-Safe ACS000HJ

The TCM has an electrical fail-safe mode. This mode makes it possible to operate even if there is a an error in

a main electronic control input/output signal circuit.

In fail-safe mode, even if the select lever is “D†or “M†mode, the transmission is fixed in 2nd, 4th, or 5th

(depending on the breakdown position), so the customer should feel “slipping†or “poor accelerationâ€. When

fail-safe mode is triggered, when the ignition switch is switched “ONâ€, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes

for about 8 seconds. (Refer to AT-84, "TCM SELF-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE (NO TOOLS)" ).

Even when the electronic circuits are normal, under special conditions (for example, when slamming on the

brake with the wheels spinning drastically and stopping the tire rotation), the transmission can go into fail-safe

mode. If this happens, switch “OFF†the ignition switch for 10 seconds, then switch it “ON†again to return to

the normal shift pattern. Also, the A/T CHECK indicator lamp flashes for about 8 seconds once, then is

cleared. Therefore, the customer's vehicle has returned to normal, so handle according to the “diagnostics

flow†(Refer to AT-42 ).

FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION

If any malfunction occurs in a sensor or solenoid, this function controls the A/T to mark driving possible.

Vehicle Speed Sensor A/T (Revolution Sensor)

Signals are input from two systems - from vehicle speed sensor A/T (revolution sensor) installed on the

transmission and from combination meter so normal driving is possible even if there is a malfunction in

one of the systems. And if vehicle speed sensor A/T (revolution sensor) has unusual cases, 5th gear and

manual mode are prohibited.

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

If there is a malfunction in one of the systems, the accelerator opening angle is controlled by ECM according

to a pre-determined accelerator angle to make driving possible. And if there are malfunctions in tow

systems, the engine speed is fixed by ECM to a pre-determined engine speed to make driving possible.

hi zman, i did think about replacing the fluid but it's brown & smells burnt & would probably cost close to £100 in new fluid. plus i'd have the dilemma of do I flush the system or just try to drain as much as possible. from reading online it sounds like mech fail & i didnt want to waste money on new fluid in a ruined box. - could be the wrong decision but now car doesnt run its difficult to do anything trial and error so opted for full replacement...

also i don't think its failsafe mode as when really bad i cannot get any drive at all in any gear - plus no a/t light on the dash..

could be done on thurs/fri so will post with results..!

hi zman, i did think about replacing the fluid but it's brown & smells burnt & would probably cost close to £100 in new fluid. plus i'd have the dilemma of do I flush the system or just try to drain as much as possible. from reading online it sounds like mech fail & i didnt want to waste money on new fluid in a ruined box. - could be the wrong decision but now car doesnt run its difficult to do anything trial and error so opted for full replacement...

also i don't think its failsafe mode as when really bad i cannot get any drive at all in any gear - plus no a/t light on the dash..

could be done on thurs/fri so will post with results..!

I think you have done the right thing mate. :thumbs:

Hi Guys,

Not good news... gutted! HELP pls... :-(

Got a call today from transmission place to say they had replaced the box and that the replacement box has same problem. It apparently pulls in first & second and just slips in 3/4/5.

The guy seemed very unsure what could be the cause & whether the 'new' box is faulty or there is some other 'control issue' that's causing the boxes to burn out... I obviously have no idea what to do next - I was trying to avoid "hit & miss" type troubleshooting by replacing the whole unit & didn't think it could backfire like this... & neither did they seem to....

He has done the ECU reset (again) - is it worth doing the throttle position procedure - he said there was an error code flagging for the TP sensor. Anyone know what else could be wrong as I keep being told that the 5AT boxes are very sturdy & reliable.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Guys,

Not good news... gutted! HELP pls... :-(

Got a call today from transmission place to say they had replaced the box and that the replacement box has same problem. It apparently pulls in first & second and just slips in 3/4/5.

The guy seemed very unsure what could be the cause & whether the 'new' box is faulty or there is some other 'control issue' that's causing the boxes to burn out... I obviously have no idea what to do next - I was trying to avoid "hit & miss" type troubleshooting by replacing the whole unit & didn't think it could backfire like this... & neither did they seem to....

He has done the ECU reset (again) - is it worth doing the throttle position procedure - he said there was an error code flagging for the TP sensor. Anyone know what else could be wrong as I keep being told that the 5AT boxes are very sturdy & reliable.

Thanks

Pete

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :doh:

at least you might have a spare tranny thats good, I think the ecu handles the gearing and stuff. have you checked the harness of the ecu at all? might be worth trying a replacement ecu...

FIRST call though, take it to a place that knows nissan and can do some proper troubleshooting on the software side. Think you need to pare the ecu with the car otherwise you could ask anyone with an autobox to lend theirs. :rant: feel for you mate

hi andlid - the guy that replaced did say that fluid from old box came out black! he doesnt seem to be suggesting that it might have been ok but maybe thinks that something external is causing the boxes to burn - i have no idea if this is even possible. thought if i replaced all the mech components i would be safe.

totally stuck at moment £750 down with undriveable car and no clue what to try next & who knows if I pay for car to be transported elsewhere if they will know what to do.....

it would help if i knew if I owned zero, one or two faulty transmissions... last auto I ever buy methinks....:-(

Sorry to keep going on - but READ THE MANUAL!! It talks about the throttle position sensor and how codes can be read from the TCM, and that they're stored in the ECM etc. Have you got any lights on your dash??

If you dont understand it, i would print the manual, or take it on a laptop to the garage or an auto electrician. It's the Nissan service manual that they work through to diagnose problems with the AT transmission!!!!

It could be a faulty sensor, or solenoid, or TCM module or anything. If your car didnt start, would you replace the engine??

You cant have burnt out 2 gear boxes, for them to have the exact same symptoms can you? Burning out a 'box doesnt happen overnight...!

Hi Chris - sorry wasn't ignoring your advice but I read a lot of that section and it's pretty much greek to me... I can check the fluid condition and read error codes & lights on the dash but if it's a sensor, solenoid, or switch somewhere I'd have no idea what to check or how to replace parts (even if I was confident of the faulty ones)

Having another read of the manual just makes me realise how many possible external causes there might be - i get the feeling that the guys who swapped the box over have a good grasp of the internal mechanicals of the TC & clutches & lockups etc but don't have much idea about the electronics side (same as me)

if they are totally stuck I guess it will have to go to nissan on another flatbed truck but I can't even afford to get it there really let alone the diagnosis... thanks for your help - will keep you posted.

Don't think its the box itself. Check for water damage you might have a faulty box somewhere. Get onto a breaker and see what they want for a bcm, ecu?

Needs propper diagnosis rather than random part buying!

It could be £2.50 sensor somewhere.

Hi Chris - sorry wasn't ignoring your advice but I read a lot of that section and it's pretty much greek to me... I can check the fluid condition and read error codes & lights on the dash but if it's a sensor, solenoid, or switch somewhere I'd have no idea what to check or how to replace parts (even if I was confident of the faulty ones)

Having another read of the manual just makes me realise how many possible external causes there might be - i get the feeling that the guys who swapped the box over have a good grasp of the internal mechanicals of the TC & clutches & lockups etc but don't have much idea about the electronics side (same as me)

if they are totally stuck I guess it will have to go to nissan on another flatbed truck but I can't even afford to get it there really let alone the diagnosis... thanks for your help - will keep you posted.

Can you get it into neutral and tow it? Shouldnt be too difficult. I highly doubt nissan have the knowledge to look into this, as nissan mechanics are largely morons (may be a bit of a broad stroke there, but it's true), and they will have no knowledge of import/auto box's. I would visit several garages, taking the manual with you and asking if they have the capability to read from the TCM.

Good luck buddy.

Hi Guys - it gets worse.

Spoke to garage a couple of times today who removed the pan to find pieces of metal & friction floating around in the replacement box.

It seems like I am totally screwed now as I am £700+ down and I have a new box which is no better than the one I started with. Garage has offered me the original troubleshooting route which will cost between £1000-£1600 plus VAT and they will no doubt still want to get paid for fitting the dodgy replacement. I'm sure I can get my money back for the duff box but I feel like:

A) The supplier has caused the consequential loss of the fitting cost (Until yesterday he was still saying it was fully working..)

B) Should the garage has removed the pan to check before they did the swap.

Seems like my decisions and everything else are all going totally the wrong way at the minute. I am left with the choice of giving the go ahead for a job which will likely cost over two grand or buying another box for £500-600+ & having that fitted (£400) - If I go this route is it out-of-order of me to expect a deal on the 2nd fitting? No way I want to pay full price twice....

Any advice greatly appreciated. After all this I can't really imagine being pleased to get the car back - I suppose I could always sell and take the loss....