"Whining" in First and second...

slimjim

OK, this is my first "performance" car.... and bearing in mind I have been driving a crappy Diesel for 7 years, I am out of practice with Petrols anyway!

So... dropping into 1st... and/or 2nd when coming to a corner or a round about or something, I get a slight distant "whining" sound from the gear box. Not like I am dropping into 1st/2nd from 3-4k in 3rd... I mean normal gentle driving.

Sounds like a quiet version of when you get from a box when you do 10mph in reverse (know the sound I mean?)

So can anyone tell me if this is normal for this kind of car... or should I be worried?

Could it just be the "racing clutch" sound?

The gears feel SOLID and the box itself is nice and tight.

Just thought I would ask if anyone thought this was normal?

Cheers guys...

Hello. :)

Could be your flywheel (on your clutch). You could have a lightened flywheel so it will make a little noise at low speed - if your in the wrong gear at low speeds you'll sound like a tractor. lol

Don't worry - this is perfectly normal. I have a lightened flywheel on mine.

Hello. :)

Could be your flywheel (on your clutch). You could have a lightened flywheel so it will make a little noise at low speed - if your in the wrong gear at low speeds you'll sound like a tractor. lol

Don't worry - this is perfectly normal. I have a lightened flywheel on mine.

HA HA HA

Nope, doesn't sound like a tractor at low speeds ;)

It is only when you go into the new gear.

I think it may just be habit... I have to remember that I have to change gear 200% MORE than I was doing in the diesel.

She seems not to like pulling away in anything other than 1st if you are under 15-20 mph. Which I used to do in THIRD in the Diesel!

Just gotta get used to slotting her into 1st every time, rather than trying it in 2nd.

Cheers bud! B)

OK, this is my first "performance" car.... and bearing in mind I have been driving a crappy Diesel for 7 years, I am out of practice with Petrols anyway!

So... dropping into 1st... and/or 2nd when coming to a corner or a round about or something, I get a slight distant "whining" sound from the gear box. Not like I am dropping into 1st/2nd from 3-4k in 3rd... I mean normal gentle driving.

Sounds like a quiet version of when you get from a box when you do 10mph in reverse (know the sound I mean?)

So can anyone tell me if this is normal for this kind of car... or should I be worried?

Could it just be the "racing clutch" sound?

The gears feel SOLID and the box itself is nice and tight.

Just thought I would ask if anyone thought this was normal?

Cheers guys...

It is quite normal to get some noises from the Z transmission but 1st gear should only be used when pulling away from a standing start.

There is enough torque to use 2nd gear at low speed or low rpm. :thumbs: