Perforation Warranty (Images Updated 20-9-2010)

AlexZ

Hi all, couple of months ago I pc'd some of the car (see my progress thread for further info) and I found some perforation coming through on the underside of the bonnet were seal covers. We have recently become a Nissan authorised repair centre at work. I though this is the perfect oppertunaty to have the perforation sorted and know where my car is and whats happening. The bonnets are aluminium but the paint isnt broken yet so you cant see the oxidisation and it's clear its coming from under the paint. I spoke to the local Nissan dealer who informend me theres a 12 year perforation warranty on our vehicles. He then went on to tell me the service body needs to have it's "Body & Paint" stamps filled in for the warranty to be valid (rear of service book). Sure enough I bought the vehicle second hand and the stamps arn't filled in. You need to have the Paint & Body inspection every 3, 6 and 9 years by Nissan.

They've taken all the relevent information to process the claim to the Nissan warranty department but havent promised anything due to the stamps. I put my thought forward that even if the paint & body stamp had been carried out the dealer would'nt have pulled the bonnet seal back to check unless it was a common problem.

I'll keep you all informed when I hear back from them but all I can do now is wait. I would advise anyone who hasnt had the Paint & Body inspection carried out and there vehicle is less than 3 years old to do so if they want there body warranty. For all others with older vehicles I would check under your bonnet seal that runs along the front because I've looked at two Z's one 54 plate and the other 04 and there both showing perforation issues lol.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick updated for the people with the same problem. I havent had any Body and Paint stamps in my service book and the car is 2004 with original paint. Nissan have paid for the work to be carried out, I have attached some image so you can check yours.

DSC04685.jpg

DSC04684.jpg

DSC04683.jpg

DSC04682.jpg

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

Alex

If you've only ever taken your car to Nissan for your 3/6/9 year services, then I would damn as hell kick up a stink if that didn't perform the B&P checks. I think you'd have a pretty good case should you need to go to court over it in that circumstance as well.

If you've only ever taken your car to Nissan for your 3/6/9 year services, then I would damn as hell kick up a stink if that didn't perform the B&P checks. I think you'd have a pretty good case should you need to go to court over it in that circumstance as well.

Evening Ekona, I dont have any stamps and they have still paid.. :thumbs: I did say I would start the world's smallest war if it wasnt covered lol. :teeth:

I said "even if the first (3rd year) stamp was done theres nothing to say the perforation hadn't stated afterward". I also pointed out the fact the dealer wouldnt have pulled the seal back to check under there unless there was an on going issue.

Alex

Ok, the bonnet has been removed and in paint shop. With the bumper on a stand we found even more corrosion all around the sealer...

DSC01712.jpg

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01710.jpg

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

DSC01704.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01702.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

We've dug the sealer out, cleaned up all the corrosion and its ready to be re-sealed in morning.. :thumbs:

DSC01726.jpg

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

Alexz

A word of warning: with aluminium filiform corrosion (which I'm pretty sure this is) if you re-work a section (i.e. sand it back to remove the corrosion) the re-worked area is then far more susceptible to corrosion in the future. There isn't really much you can do about this but to minimise the effect it's best to re-work as small a section as possible. Good luck!

A word of warning: with aluminium filiform corrosion (which I'm pretty sure this is) if you re-work a section (i.e. sand it back to remove the corrosion) the re-worked area is then far more susceptible to corrosion in the future. There isn't really much you can do about this but to minimise the effect it's best to re-work as small a section as possible. Good luck!

Cheers for the heads up mate, the Tech's at my work have been trained in aluminium repair because of our Audi, Merc contracts etc. I understand what your saying and the sanded areas are pritty small.

Plus I have the added extra, if it does come back Im there every day lol. :thumbs:

Alex

Interesting. I called my local dealer and then Nissan customer care as my 'bodywork' stamps in the back of the warranty booklet start at 3 years and annually thereafter, (not 3,6,9) and my z is coming up on 3 years. I assumed that it would need an annual inspection and stamp to maintain the body warranty, as per a service history and stamps to maintain the 3 year mechanical warranty, but I am assured that this is not the case and the 12 year body warranty stands irrespective. :thumbs: The pages in the booklet appear to be for the garages amusement should they feel the need during a routine service. :doh:

However, this didn't stop the dealer trying to book it in for this 'phantom' inspection at my cost, as this appeared to be what I wanted. :bang:

Hence my call to Nissan.

Anyway, panic over, body warranted for a further 9 years irrespective of inspection according to Nissan. :thumbs:

Maybe explains why they agreed to pay for Alex's repairs without any hassle, and it's the dealer that got it wrong about the stamps or lack of. :shrug:

Oh joy. Further to my last post, it clearly states having re-read my warranty booklet that:

(Page 3) 1. NISSAN PAN EUROPE WARRANTY INFORMATION

1.3 PERFORATION FROM CORROSION WARRANTY

...."This warranty requires that the vehicle is inspected according to the inspection schedule on pages 38-50, and repaired if necessary, by an authorised Nissan dealer."

2. THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT NISSAN PAN EUROPE WARRANTY

2.10 WHAT YOU MUST DO

5. As for the Paint Warranty and the Perforation From Corrosion Warranty, the following things must be done additionally:

...."* Have the annual paint inspection carried out and documented on pages 42-50;"

So, not only do some dealers not know what they are talking about (no real surprise there), but more worryingly, Nissan Customer Care have no idea what the terms of their own warranties are. I think I'd feel happier cutting all ties with the idiots, saves the heartache of having to deal with the tw@ts if something does go wrong.

Anyway, hope your repairs go smoothly Alex and nothing else bubbles up any time soon. :thumbs:

Hi Watshot, I'm sure they normally push for the book to be fully filled out. We do a lot of warranty for all the manufactures and there all the same... :thumbs:

We she finally got some paint on today. I asked the paint tech to cover the full underside of the bonnet is Blade silver rather than value shade, thought it's be easier to clean and reflect better if I get and shiny bits lol.

Wihile I was there I got them to repair my rear bumper, there was a small dent from when I bought the car and the hole I driled to big :bang:

Should have the car back tomorrow to add the new bits for my progress thread at weekend.

Alex

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

mite be a dumb question but are they re spraying the top of the bonnet too Al?

Nah mate Nissan only pay for the infected areas. The top is fine, plus the colour is a little dark so I'm glad it was just the underside lol.

The bumper is getting resprayed this week, :yahoo:

Alex