Handbrake Adjustment

AlexZ

Hi people, does anyone know if you can adjust the handbrake tension via the handbrake cable at the handbrake itself rather than as the manual talks you through. Most jap cars I've fixed or serviced etc you can adjust a tension nut on the handbrake cable itself and achive equal tension to each rear disk/drum.. :shrug:

Alexz

I got Abbey to adjust my handbrake when I got a P1 service done a couple of months back but its slipped again and I have to leave the car in gear if im on any kind of slope. Is it likely I need something replaced or just adjusted again :shrug: its going to Abbey for an MOT next tuesday anyway....

Best to let off the cable, adjust up the drums and then readjust the cable.

A quick tighten up of the cable will not cause any harm but to get the best from your handbrake the drums should be adjusted first. :)

Alex.

Evening Alex, thanks for the quick reply...I didn't have time to get the wheels off etc today so I just whipped the three screw out the centre console and used a 10mm ratchet spanner to tighten the cable. She feels a lot better but time will tell I guess. :teeth:

Regards Alex

A quick tighten up of the cable will not cause any harm but to get the best from your handbrake the drums should be adjusted first. :)

Alex.

Evening Alex, thanks for the quick reply...I didn't have time to get the wheels off etc today so I just whipped the three screw out the centre console and used a 10mm ratchet spanner to tighten the cable. She feels a lot better but time will tell I guess. :teeth:

Regards Alex

Buy yourself a deep 10mm socket for next time and adjust through the ashtray aperture. ;)

• Like 1

Alex.

Regards Alex

Buy yourself a deep 10mm socket for next time and adjust through the ashtray aperture. ;)

Haha I have have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchets all with 10mm deep sockets, but I didnt know were the nut was...Mint tip mate, were theres a will theres a way lol.