How many people had clutch parts replaced under Warranty?

350zdriver

I have a noisy (what i suspect to be...) clutch cover or plate. On previous cars that have had this problem it has been due to faulty springs in the cover. Basically, if you are sat in neutral with your foot not touching the clutch it sounds like a boiling kettle, put your foot on the clutch and it dissapears. You can also hear it a bit when driving which is why i think it might be the cover.

Anyway, the stealers are apparently not replacing any clutch/gearbox parts under warranty and the noise has been signed off as "normal" although when i asked him to start up the demonstrator outside to prove that one did it aswell, he wouldn't!! Basically, what he's saying is he doesn't want to do the work, i'm not happy.

Right...he then went on to say that if i authorise to take the gearbox out and back in (i.e pay for it), they'll check the clutch, if they find a fault they'll replace it and pay for the labour.

Has anyone else had probs with the clutch? what was the outcome? any tips for getting them off their lazy behinds and fixing the annoying issue?

Regards

Rob

hmmm, they told me it was the shaft in the gearbox spinning and they have had gearboxes sent back to Japan. Nissan in Japan sent a communication out to them to stop them taking gearboxes out as there was no damage, it was simply a 'feature of the gearbox', hmmm

Thanks for the input though, i'll keep digging around!

Regards

Rob

Sounds like they're taking the p*** to me mate. Yep it is a bit noisy but there is also a TSB out there for the clutch release bearing - mine has been done by Lythgoe's in Bolton. If you like I'm happy to meet you and put em side by side, if it sounds the same its usual if not then you can always pop up to Bolton to have it done :thumbs:

EDIT: forgot to say, Lythgoe's are quite happy to sort a car for you if its in, just don't be expecting anything much - I had a Grande Punto last time, what a piece of s***

think i might take a trip up there then if they are more helpful. Basically i am having all my Warranty niggles sorted out (clicking diffs, bose, noisy dash rattle etc etc), then as soon as they hand the keys back i'm going to ask to listen to the clutch on their demonstrator as he said ALL 350zs do it. Although i pointed out, if they made that noise from new, nobody would buy them as it sounds rough.

He also said it's nothing to do with the release bearing until a gear is selected and the clutch is released. A 'thump' would be an indication of a faulty wheel bearing. I'll speak to my mechanic frind and see what he says.

thanks for the input. I'll keep you posted about meeting up

Rob

p.s, if you know the girls who are washing your car in your pictures then yes, i will definately meet up!! my motor could do with a wash ;)

Rob

Still thinking they're trying to fob you off mate. I've had my axles, release bearing, squeeky clutch pedal and a couple of minor other bits done there. They seem pretty happy in carrying out warranty work mate, might be worth a drive up there (if you need directions PM me), but book it in cos they'll need to check it out first and get Nissan go ahead, which they always seem to have done within a day for me :D

As far as the girls go - the one in the middle is my missus. They did a very poor job though and got the car covered in baby oil too, so I had bum & leg prints all over the doors and bonnet. Obviously I didn't wash em off for over 2 weeks tho - brilliant :thumbs:

Guest prescience

I have a noisy (what i suspect to be...) clutch cover or plate. On previous cars that have had this problem it has been due to faulty springs in the cover. Basically, if you are sat in neutral with your foot not touching the clutch it sounds like a boiling kettle, put your foot on the clutch and it dissapears. You can also hear it a bit when driving which is why i think it might be the cover.

Anyway, the stealers are apparently not replacing any clutch/gearbox parts under warranty and the noise has been signed off as "normal" although when i asked him to start up the demonstrator outside to prove that one did it aswell, he wouldn't!! Basically, what he's saying is he doesn't want to do the work, i'm not happy.

Right...he then went on to say that if i authorise to take the gearbox out and back in (i.e pay for it), they'll check the clutch, if they find a fault they'll replace it and pay for the labour.

Has anyone else had probs with the clutch? what was the outcome? any tips for getting them off their lazy behinds and fixing the annoying issue?

Regards

Rob

First off that noise is not abnormal - they are all nosiy to some extent.

Secondly, BE VERY CAREFUL here. nobody in the UK has to my knowledge had the clutch replaced under warranty; I say again nobody even people whose clutch has failed at 5k miles.

My guess is they will take your box out (out and replace is probably 10 hours-2 days labour) inspect the clutch, say there is no fault but it is simply normal wear and tear and "would you like us to replace it for you sir" :dry:

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

First off that noise is not abnormal - they are all nosiy to some extent.

Secondly, BE VERY CAREFUL here. nobody in the UK has to my knowledge had the clutch replaced under warranty; I say again nobody even people whose clutch has failed at 5k miles.

My guess is they will take your box out (out and replace is probably 10 hours-2 days labour) inspect the clutch, say there is no fault but it is simply normal wear and tear and "would you like us to replace it for you sir" :dry:

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

True, mine is still noisy but nowhere near as bad as it was - it was shockingly noisy at standstill. You're right about the clutch too, they won't replace the cover or plate but just replace the bearing.

don't worry, i am proceeding with caution, hence why i am getting all my other stuff done first before i really start trying to get clutch parts done.

The clutch plate itself is not covered under waranty, but the bearing, cover (failure in the springs) and flywheel are. the guy even let it slip that they have had a few warped flywheels and a few twisted splines? and also said if they can sense a judder then it's likely to be a fault. I'm just going to wait until i have some cash incase they try and bill me when the gearbox is out.

However, i took it into ATS yesterday to have my tracking done (steering wheel slightly out to the right, anyone else got this? turns out the tracking is spot on, eh, how does that work then?) and the first thing he said to me was "the springs in your clutch cover are shot and it judders, take it back". i hadn't even mentioned it.

I will get a new part eventually. Just thought i'd ask on here so i could be armed with previous stories/backup etc

Regards

Rob

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Although not quite a warranty issue we bought a 2 year old 350z with 22k on the clock - at 27k the clutch packed in. With those miles and not having owned it from new (although unhappy) we paid for a new clutch and fly wheel.

Now, 7k later the clutch has gone again - after 13 months. There is no way our dealership or Nissan will go anywhere towards contributing anything towards the cost, so we're stuffed with another bill for £1,000.

Nissan insist that the dealership had told them the clutch was burnt out, and that they had not had any other issues with clutches after that short amount of time - that it was driver error. My husband and I have over 70 years of driving experience between us and have NEVER burnt a clutch out before. We also don't use the car around the doors it is used mostly for long trips (3,000 miles down to the South of France and back last year.)

They also said that the clutch was out of warranty - but even if they decided it was driver error that it would not have been covered under the 1 year warranty on the new clutch.

We are interested to know how many other people have a clutch go after a few thousand miles as Nissan were obviously lying when they said this was the first reported case.