Replacing Exhaust Center Section - Studs

Rob_Quads

Around a couple years or so ago I had to replace my backbox as the flange on it was gone so I managed to get a 2nd hand back box and center section. At the time we did not fit the center section as we could not get the bolts to budge between the center section & manifold.

Now my flange on the center section is half rotten and letting gas out so I really need to get it sorted. I am tentative about replacing it myself fearing that i might snap the studs off the manifold which obviously would not be good.

My 350 is a 04 plate so the exhaust has been on there 6 years now. Has anyone done a DIY replacement of this on a 6 yr old car or should I pass it onto Nissan/local dealer so they can screw it up?

Around a couple years or so ago I had to replace my backbox as the flange on it was gone so I managed to get a 2nd hand back box and center section. At the time we did not fit the center section as we could not get the bolts to budge between the center section & manifold.

Now my flange on the center section is half rotten and letting gas out so I really need to get it sorted. I am tentative about replacing it myself fearing that i might snap the studs off the manifold which obviously would not be good.

My 350 is a 04 plate so the exhaust has been on there 6 years now. Has anyone done a DIY replacement of this on a 6 yr old car or should I pass it onto Nissan/local dealer so they can screw it up?

The centre section bolts onto the rear of the Y section and not the manifolds.

Just a question of replacing the bolts and nuts and gaskets as required.

All in stock so no drama :thumbs:

Alex.

Sorry - meant the Y section.

The problem is I don't think there bolts on the y section as they are built in as studs so if you snap them off then you have to start drilling out some holes and finding some bolts which is not the easiest to be doing unless you have proper ramps etc

Sorry - meant the Y section.

The problem is I don't think there bolts on the y section as they are built in as studs so if you snap them off then you have to start drilling out some holes and finding some bolts which is not the easiest to be doing unless you have proper ramps etc

The best way to remove the nuts from the studs on the rear of the Y section is to heat them up and even then they may be so badly corroded that they will snap whatever.

Drilling them out is not a big issue and like I said I have all the necessary gaskets and hardware.

Either way you are going to have to get the car up in the air.