The Ring

captint

Ok, so having spoken to the boy's today, it looks like the annual Le Mans Trip may be cancelled, too many weddings and core members dropping out. So instead it's been decided that we will do a run to the Nurburg ring instead and get our wings.

There will be a few track test runs before hand and Plenty of Playstation for track recognition.

So as I continue my quest for more power bit by bit, I have now to prepare for this too. What I was thinking og doing was start with the suspension, get it set up and getting used too the ride, then up rate my brakes and buy some scuffed alloys and fit Toyo slicks to them. This would be my prep other than servicing etc.

If funds allow I may have gone FI by then, but I think it makes sense to do it this way around?

What do you think?

Definitely do the brakes (meaning liquid and pads). Suspensions is a nice idea too, but don't go to hard - the ring is nothing like your typical smooth track - there are lots of bumps, jumps, and compressions.

For tyres you mean semi-slicks right - R888? Full slicks are not allowed at the ring on public days. I'd be wary of this if they are the only tyres you'll have with you... if it rains while your there, you will regret only having semi-slicks! This was the case for a lot of evo/subaru guys a few weeks back when I was there.

I'd drive the track before you think about FI, I sincerely doubt you will find yourself wishing you had more power.

My car is currently going through a "project" at the moment. You need a very complient setup for the ring. Personally I would get the best out of the car first before going FI but thats just personal opinion. With to tyres if its your first weekend I would stick with road tyres as you wont be doing fast times. And the PS wont help you with grip levels or topology. Pads on the standard car lasted me 9k including nearly 60 laps of the ring. Fluid is a must ans if you are doing that ds 2500's will be a big improvement. If you want to discuss more drop me a PM and we can talk by phone or something.

Hi

I was thinking of geting the TEIN setup with the EDFC setup and springs, therefore a can adjust the ride to suit, I think so far it is only Spill who has gone for this, but the guy's at TDI seem fairly (how impartially I don'y know) impressed with it. This would be move number 1.

Hmmm I seem to be the only person who thnks the standard setup is a bit too bouncy for my liking. :dry:

This is a concern too me as I don't see why it would be so. I just find at high speed on uneven country lanes I spend alot of time out of my seat, a problem I have not experienced since my series 2 landrover (all be it not quite the same) :scare:

Apparently not!! I was told (and I dont have em to say) that they were too hard for european roads, let alone the ring. I know guys in NTE Bonn and I was discussing their choices and both KW and Bilstein (lots of money) were two favourites. The test mule I was in was actually runing Bilstein. It is widely regarded that the jap manuacturers tune their shocks to jap roads (completely different to ours) This is why the original JDM spec car didnt suit our roads. They spent 6 months tuning the car for europe. I was told on Friday that the backend of he car was the biggest problem

So basically modded suspension is too hard, coz I still think the Zed's suspension is still too bouncy. I looked at Bilstein through AMD when I had an M3 and I know it has a really good rep, what I liked about the Tein Super Streets EDFC set up was that not only could I have presets i sould alter the system for 100% soft through 50% to 100% hard

No the JDM suspension was not "fast" enough to respond to our roads. I dont have to hand whether or not it was softer (I doubt it was as their roads are much much smoother) thus allowing "slower"suspension to be used.

It is true that post 04 cars have the euro spec setup.

I would say do brake fluid. But suggest you still only do a max of 2 in row then stop for 30 mins. You will use the brakes if you do not know the circuit, I think the boys that do it all the time can go out more often. May sure pads are also good, you do not need to change them but you also do not want then to wear out in the middle of Germany.

Suspension was fine when I did my trip last year.

If you really mean slicks, I would not go there unless a dry-sump system is fitted.

Not bad at ring as constant changes in direction, but if you are doing something like Rockingham then may be issues.

Lastly I would time it to coincide with a track day at Spa as you will be driving straight passed.

Steve

For beginners even 2 can be lethal as they will bend something at speed on lap one and it will break on lap 2, resulting in nasty accy. I say do one then go off down the road for a cool off lap, come back wait 15 then go out again, I find this stops the "Senna effect"

Mine was okay for 2 in a row, takes 5 mins to get thru the Q again.

However my mate in a A4 hasd smoke coming from brakes for 5-10 mins after he did 2 in a row.

Once on the final straight after the bridge, just cruise and let things cool, after all its just a straight line, most people time between bridges anyway (yes I know you are not meant to time).

Steve

Mine was okay for 2 in a row, takes 5 mins to get thru the Q again.

However my mate in a A4 hasd smoke coming from brakes for 5-10 mins after he did 2 in a row.

Once on the final straight after the bridge, just cruise and let things cool, after all its just a straight line, most people time between bridges anyway (yes I know you are not meant to time).

Steve

My worry steve was not that the brakes would cook ( I havew never cooked them out there despite my efforts) It was more other mechanical bits, Havein seen a suspension failure at speed out there I can tell you its not pretty.

Plus it calms the beginner driver down from the afore mentioned "senna effect"

Keeps the head clear and avoids the red mist! ;)

I know its a personal thing but for most beginners its what I advise. Also I stongly advise going out as a passenger in an experienced persons car first. After all the ring is one of the few places where most people can and will give you pax laps.

Aahh the ring

2r4mo2q.jpg

B)

I agree with all the guys here, but I would recommend you something else too. If you know someone who is a ring "regular", get him to help you know the track, either by being a passenger in your car, or by driving his car at much lower speed than he normally would do in front of you, to show you the lines. The Ring is a very complicated track, 90% of the time you cant see where you are supposed to go, blind corners and hills galore. Trying to learn it on your own will take very long! I did 4 laps on it in my car and I had a friend of mine next to me who had already ridden 150+ laps on his motorcycle on that track to guide me around. :thumbs:

I have a friend who is a Ring regular with his Porsche and could maybe help, just tell me the date you want to go and i ll check if he can come over too (and me too while we are at it B) )