Please help my 350z is sick

patto

Hello every body , as the title says my 350z is not very well and i hope that some one can offer some advice please.

The problem is that when accelerating say to overtake a car the car speeds up but then stops accelerating for a couple of seconds then starts again eg it feels like when a rev limter or speed limiter cuts in.

When you blip the accelerator when stood still, it works ok .

There seems to be not problems if you drive around town .

I was fed up so a took the car to a local nissan dealer , after 2 hrs in the workshop they could find nothing wroung at all , they also said that the dianostic computer had been pluged into the car and showed nothing?

sorry for the long post but iam at my wits end with the car and its starting to spoil what was my ideal car

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer

Patto

It happens at differnt engine speeds but many when the engine under load , if you potter around town all is ok.

the car has virous minor mods but it was running ok with all of them .

no ecu warring lights or any warrning lights have come up on dash

I had a similar problem many moons ago with an Astra GTE. It was water ingress in the ECU. Some resistors and capacitors had corroded. It was a bugger because it was such an intermittent fault. It only occurred when the engine was under load, like hard acceleration or overtaking. I dare say that if this was the case with the 350Z it would be exposed with modern diagnostics.

It happens at differnt engine speeds but many when the engine under load , if you potter around town all is ok.

the car has virous minor mods but it was running ok with all of them .

no ecu warring lights or any warrning lights have come up on dash

what’s your inkling then????

Actually, had a similar problem with my previous car too (Audi S3)

Turns out it was the air mass meter. Yet again it was an intermittent fault that happened under load. Don't know much about the zed's engine yet. Would a faulty air mass meter (if it even has one) cause these symptoms in the zed? By the way, the air mass meter was one of the only components that didn't show up on the diagnostics.

Hi again , ive been out in the car and tryed turning off the VDC button (i couldnt find any others to turn off) but no change at all

350Znismo wrote-

is your trip computer set to low (speed limiter) I had the same when i first drove mine but i just increased the limit

iam not sure what this is , the rev shift light is set to 6600rpm but would the trip comp afect any thing?

PS my car is a imported model

Guest prescience

A possibility as noted above is that you have a dirty MAF and it would be worth getting this cleaned - do you have a non-stock air intake for example?

First off, I would check that the air filter and ai filter box are not restricted in any way - leaves or whatever. Work from the intake backwards would be my approach ... filter, MAF, plenum etc

Guest prescience

If anyone has a popcharger and cleans it, it is possible that some of the oil can get onto the MAF hot wire and give similar uneven running symptoms.

MAF cleaner will sort it out :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Hello again , just a quick update .

ive fixed the problem after many hours and trying all sorts :angry:

the problem was down to the resistence of the after market led rear lights i had fitted !!!!

the lights were afecting the can bus system on the car ..i only thought to try this after a frend had fitted a led rear brake lamp to hes new bmw motor cycle that also uses a can bus system ,it was afecting the injection control system and making hes bike run very rough .

ive refitted the standard rear lights and she running sweet as a nut now :yahoo:

Hello again , just a quick update .

ive fixed the problem after many hours and trying all sorts :angry:

the problem was down to the resistence of the after market led rear lights i had fitted !!!!

the lights were afecting the can bus system on the car ..i only thought to try this after a frend had fitted a led rear brake lamp to hes new bmw motor cycle that also uses a can bus system ,it was afecting the injection control system and making hes bike run very rough .

ive refitted the standard rear lights and she running sweet as a nut now :yahoo:

bloody hell thats incredible that lights would alter the ECU settings :scare:

bloody hell thats incredible that lights would alter the ECU settings :scare:

They dont, they just disturb the cables on which the communication happens between ECU and car components ;)

still cant believe the lighting circuit has any connection to the ECU though??

the led rear lights i had fitted were the lexus style lamps . the car was probley running rough to teach me a lesson for fitting them :thumbs:

ive talked to my local main dealer and they have had problems with blown lamps etc causing problems on the other nissan models but none so far on the 350z they have looked after .

If it is the mas air flow meter.................Stary the engine up then inplug it whilst running if there is no difference when you unplug it to when it is plugged in it is broken.

If there is a difference it may be worth while trying some 1 elses on your 350 to see if yours has a loose conection.

Other than that it sounds like a ignition problem to me with a faulty current.

Check plugs and leads.

Lew