PCN Charge - Is this even right??

Gizmo-R

Went for some sushi with the missus in London and parked in parking bay off the road and promptly got a PCN

However at the time of parking the notices weren't that clear so I asked a local and they said it should be fine but nevertheless got a parking charge on return.

Thing is they stuck a notice over the notice obscuring the parking conditions for Sunday so surely I can challenge this??

I got photo evidence:

The parking notice

18072010119.jpg

Notices relative to where my car was:

18072010120.jpg

18072010121.jpg

Notice accross the street:

18072010122.jpg

18072010123-1.jpg

I'm guess I will have to pay fine first then challenge it? :(

Do I have grounds to recover the fine based on the pictoral info and do I just have to bend over and take it???

You can dispute the charge.

In doing so the charges are held - which includes the lower amount payable.

If they find that you do not have a case, you then have the option to pay the lower amount.

I did the same in London - I entered a box junction - there were road works ahead which I didn't realise and the two lanes of traffic wanted to merge into one. It caused both lanes to traffic back into the box. Due to the fact I was stationary they charged me, although I tried my hardest to dispute the charge.

Once they confirmed I was still in the wrong, they said I have the option to pay the lower charge, rather than it increasing to the higher value.

Put it in writting, with your photo's and they will freeze the charges.

Good luck - you'll need it !!

Email is fine - I'd send email - in addition also send it in the post. They sometimes have long delays with responding with emails.

Read the terms of payment, or if in doubt check by calling them. I did this and if you're in dispute the charges will be frozen until they either force you to pay (lower charge), or remove the charge.

It took a further 2 months to sort my claim out, as they sent me a DVD of my car going in the box. I might load it up one day for a laugh.

I got an auto response quoting:

"Please note that the penalty will be held at the current status (unless the penalty has been passed over to the bailiffs for recovery) whilst we undertake our investigation. If your enquiry was received within 14 days of the date of issue of the PCN, it will be held at the discounted amount, otherwise, it will be held at the charge applicable at the time of this enquiry."

So looks like it will be held and I have email trail of my sent emails so we shall wait and see

May be a stupid question but just to check. It was a Sunday that you parked there I take it?

If so then I can't see how they can tell you that it was your responsibility to move their sign to see the times, no doubt they'll try it though

Yeah I was parked there Sunday (yesterday) and anyway why would I move it just in case I broke it? I wouldn't want to be done for vandalism or forcefully trying to remove a public notice!

Is it worth taking a photo of how the sign has been covered? May help.

Er..... My first post has pics of just that?

Didn't when I first looked at the thread. I meant photos to demonstrate to the council. ;)

Ha ha!

First thing I did was take pictures when I found that stupid label stuck on my window!!!