Can different tyres need different pressures?

Sylvester

Recently changed from Bridgestones to Toyo T1-Rs.

Drove back from the fitters ( 50 miles... ) and was impressed with the Toyos - quieter, more feeling from steering, grip seemed up. Should be said I was not doing much / any near limit driving though.

Finally got the chance to check the tyre pressure last night to find that the fitters ( Micheldever Winchester you are named and shamed ) had only put in 27 psi into each tyre!

Upped them to the 35 as per handbook and drove again last night. Obviously harder ride, lot of steering feeling lost, less grip. Car just felt a little skittish. Again I am not talking track driving here.

Fairly confident the pressures are correct as I have an expensive pressure guage.

So, apart from my embarassment at not being able to tell tyres were so far under inflated when driving it ( which I explain to myself by saying that they were different tyres so I did not have much to compare against... :blush::blush: ) and apart from my anger at fitters for not bothering to look up the right pressure ( or look in the door panel or even, god forbid, asking the owner! :angry::angry::angry: ) my question is...

Is it correct that every tyre should have the same pressure in order to work at its best ? I.E. could it be that Toyos will work best at (say) 32 psi whereas the Bridgestones need 35 ?

i would agree with the car feeling skittish on toyo tr-1's , just drove back from work and had to do some heavy braking the car was squimming (SP) all over the road :scare:

also on the motorway,at speed, while changing lanes it seems to tram line loads from where the tarmac as been worn away, making me feel a little nervous of really pushing it :headhurt:

hope they do wear in very quickly, have checked the pressures and they are 34-35psi can anybody else suggest what might be wrong ?

the bridgstones seemed much better :ninja: ,maybe it's coz of the stronger side walls or summit :wacko:

Guest prescience
i would agree with the car feeling skittish on toyo tr-1's , just drove back from work and had to do some heavy braking the car was squimming (SP) all over the road :scare:

also on the motorway,at speed, while changing lanes it seems to tram line loads from where the tarmac as been worn away, making me feel a little nervous of really pushing it :headhurt:

hope they do wear in very quickly, have checked the pressures and they are 34-35psi can anybody else suggest what might be wrong ?

The Toyo's will do that for 20-50 miles and then it will disappear :thumbs:

The Toyo's will do that for 20-50 miles and then it will disappear :thumbs:

fingers crossed they will :wacko:

if anyone else as any similar problems no matter the make of tyres can you please here if thats ok with you, Sylvester ?

As long as you meant 'if anyone else Has any similar problems no matter the make of tyres can you please POST here if thats ok with you, Sylvester? then yeah sure :p

And yep same here, first thing I checked ( even before leaving the fitters ) was that the tyres were on the right way round... I learnt that from the experience of others on the forum!

Through a variety of reasons I have hardly driven the Zed recently ( :thumbdown: ) so still waiting to get those couple of hundred miles under the belt. Here's hoping they settle down...

done just under 300 miles over the weekend and i think there's no improvement :(

it was wet when driving back home, was doing about 50-55mph on a bend, happened to get both drivers side wheels on to the white lines, the traction control light came on at least twice making me jump, a bit later on again on a bend i touched the brakes, the abs kicked in as the pedal juddered a couple of times (does a abs light come on the dash too, didn't notice any).

all the above makes me think that i've got the wrong size tires on and it's confusing the ecu or wotever :wacko:

not happy driving the car at the mo as i don't feel safe driving it :(

done just under 300 miles over the weekend and i think there's no improvement :(

it was wet when driving back home, was doing about 50-55mph on a bend, happened to get both drivers side wheels on to the white lines, the traction control light came on at least twice making me jump, a bit later on again on a bend i touched the brakes, the abs kicked in as the pedal juddered a couple of times (does a abs light come on the dash too, didn't notice any).

all the above makes me think that i've got the wrong size tires on and it's confusing the ecu or wotever :wacko:

not happy driving the car at the mo as i don't feel safe driving it :(

What sizes have you got on??

here a couple of pictures of the tyres, have been out for a drive but the tyres still look a little big, even the fitter mentioned it when they were put on.

i've inverted one picture so u can see the sizes better, b4 someone points it out :)

here a couple of pictures of the tyres, have been out for a drive but the tyres still look a little big, even the fitter mentioned it when they were put on.

i've inverted one picture so u can see the sizes better, b4 someone points it out :)

Thats the back size , :thumbs: what size have you got on front set?