Experiences with Twin Turbo or Superchargers

sl114

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Im a long way off this but does anyone have either on this site?

Where did you get it from, whats it like, how reliable is it etc?

Just weighing up the differences in performance, reliability, sounds etc...

Thanks

Ive had both, what are your goals for power/how much do you want to spend???

Im a long way off this but does anyone have either on this site?

Where did you get it from, whats it like, how reliable is it etc?

Just weighing up the differences in performance, reliability, sounds etc...

Thanks

Ive had both, what are your goals for power/how much do you want to spend???

I dont want to change all the internals so id say around the 420bhp mark. Money wise, around £5k-£6k

Thats asking alot for that money.

The Vortech with all the bits and pieces could be had for about that money, then you'd need it fitting and tuning.

A genuine 420bhp from the supercharger is optimistic in my opinion, and I wouldnt run that power with standard internals.

Thats asking alot for that money.

The Vortech with all the bits and pieces could be had for about that money, then you'd need it fitting and tuning.

A genuine 420bhp from the supercharger is optimistic in my opinion, and I wouldnt run that power with standard internals.

Ahh i see, what would you suggest power on standard internals should be around? 400?

Depends on what your using, if its a supercharger, then yes, as they arent as hard on the engine (far less torque produced). To be on the safe side, I'd stick to around 380bhp to give you some safety margin.

What I will say is this, if you can only just afford to do the work, then dont bother, as their is a much greater chance of engine failure (not painting a totally dark picture, as i had a vortech on standard internals, and my APS TT, with no problems). You just need to be aware of the risks involved. Ive had the standard rods in my hand and they are like MacDonalds straws, shocking quality. That is the weak link, the rods.

Depends on what your using, if its a supercharger, then yes, as they arent as hard on the engine (far less torque produced). To be on the safe side, I'd stick to around 380bhp to give you some safety margin.

What I will say is this, if you can only just afford to do the work, then dont bother, as their is a much greater chance of engine failure (not painting a totally dark picture, as i had a vortech on standard internals, and my APS TT, with no problems). You just need to be aware of the risks involved. Ive had the standard rods in my hand and they are like MacDonalds straws, shocking quality. That is the weak link, the rods.

I have heard they are like hay!

How did both systems compare to you?

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 400

Weight without Driver (KG) : 1525

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 266.51

0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.42

0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.75

60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.33

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.62

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 113.77

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.52

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 115.05

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 380

Weight without Driver (KG) : 1525

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 253.18

0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.58

0 - 100 (Secs) : 10.25

60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.67

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.80

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 111.75

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.70

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 113.02

Guest prescience
Yeah theortical, but about as accurate as you will get

Using peak power will only give accurate results if the torque is constant over the range of rpm (the in-gear acceleration range say 4200-6200rpm) - if it is not, you need to integrate torque wrt time (~rpm).

So since the torque curves for SC and TT are quite different, doing comparative calculations based on peak power gives misleading results IMO :)

ALL theory performance figures quoted on the car statistic lists are calculated using the Letstorquebhp.com formulas (calculator), none of them are from any given road test. All the figures are THEORY only and the aim of the site is for a fun comparison between all types of performance cars, standard or modified, and mainly in the UK, although some imports are covered.

1) The Formulas used and statistics shown on letstorquebhp.com theory performance web site and calculator, predict 0-60mph, 0-100mph and ¼ mile times (with the ¼ mile terminal speed) for road legal cars on road legal tyres. To check the accuracy of these figures we recommend you compare them to real life road test figures that you may have come across in magazines and sites.

2) It also calculates a separate Drag ¼ mile (with terminal speed and not in relation to the road figures shown) to show the slightly quicker time on a well gripped Drag Strip approved surface. This figure should be compared with real drag strip times achieved at official events (and not the road figure mentioned earlier). They do not allow for none road-legal drag slicks (which can be up to a second quicker on the 1/4mile if not more depending on the drive type).

3) The formula’s only use three items of easy obtainable data to produce the figures, these are Flywheel Power (BHP), Kerb Weight (KG) and Drive type (4WD, FWD or RWD). Formulas do not take into consideration other factors that could also affect real life figures, e.g. torque, gear ratios, aerodynamics, air density, temperature etc, these are not easy obtainable.

4) The 0-60 (and 0-100) quote takes into consideration an average amount of manual gear changes. In real life times can vary if an extra gear change is required before reaching the quoted speed.

5) A “throughâ€

Guest prescience

:lol:

They have gone to a lot of trouble with their calculator, it would be quite easy one would think to extend it to allow entry of torque at say 4 or 5 points on the curve; that would add hugely to the accuracy.

For cars where you modify and the torque curves remains the same shape (I was wrong here) the results for adding say 20Bhp will be accurate, its just where the shape changes dramatically i.e. SC vs TT where the results will be out

Now thats what you call additional power B)

Wednesday 8th NovemberBRISTOL UPRATES MIGHTY FIGHTER

Fighter T offers 1,000-plus bhp and lb-ft of torque

Bristol FighterBristol Cars is uprating the already pretty mighty Fighter.

Dropped into the new Fighter T, the Viper-derived 8-litre V10 is to sprout a pair of turbochargers and an intercooler, to boost power from its current level of 525bhp and peak torque of 525lb-ft to a seriously scary 1,012bhp and 1,036lb-ft at 4,500rpm. Specific output rises to 127bhp/litre.

Bristol reckoned that it was inspired by the fact that most buyers of its cars use them as "everyday transport instead of a conventional car. They also love to use them for recreational and track day purposes."

And Bristol has "to its surprise" been asked for more power -- the Fighter T is the answer.

Apart from the astonishing power upgrade, external changes include a diffuser at the rear which is said to cut drag to 0.27Cd. other changes include a stiffer structure, firmer springs, lower ride height by 10mm, and revised suspension geometry.

Bristol reckoned that the exhausts will now exit at the side -- Viper style - although whether this will pass the regulators remains to be seen.

It should prove easy to drive though. The mighty V10 is mated to a six-speed box, geared for 50mph/1,000rpm in top.

The company's view is that it "does not accept the conventional view that a car this fast need sacrifice anything in the way of cosseting luxury. Indeed, by concentrating on the needs of just two people the Fighter may very well be the most luxurious Bristol we have ever built.

"The exterior is clothed in hand beaten aluminium and carbon fibre bodywork. The interior is trimmed and coachbui1t to the highest standards combining the finest Wilton carpet, with extra soft leather and the luxury of extra thick soundproofing underlays.

"Bristol's new Fighter is designed without the usual cost constraints and coachbuilt by proud and conscientious artisans. For the experienced and highly discerning motorist there is no better way to travel from A to B however great or small that distance may be."