Z delayed by Cherished Number Transfer

andywrx

Hi,

I'm waiting to pick up my Z! It's an ex-demo Gun Metal GT Coupe, with 3k miles on it.

I should be picking it up on Saturday, but the dealer has just called to say that it won't be ready because my cherished number will not be transfered in time.

My question is can I pick it up on Saturday with old number on, it's taxed on this number as its an ex-demo, and just switch the plates when the DVLA send the new documents through?

Andy

It depends which number you have your insurance sorted under.

We had a similar issue with ours. What they usually mean is that they have posted the stuff off to the DVLA to swicth the plates over and they wont have received the docs back in time.

What we did was get the V5 from the dealer with our details completed as new owner, along with the retention certificate for the registration (V70?) and the current tax disc from the car we took the whole lot over to a DVLA office and sorted it at the counter.

Obviously we had to drive over in another car, but we got all the documents sorted at the desk rather than waiting for them to be returned in the post.

I dont beleive you need the V5 in your possesion when driving the car, but the changes do need to be logged at the DVLA - so you will need to take it to the DVLA office to get it changed, and they can issue with a correct tax disc over the counter - its just getting to the desk that may be an issue. The nearest one to me is Sheffield, so its not that far away.

If the dealer has still got the documents on his desk, then you may be able to sort it (there is a chance that they have forgot to post them and are only getting round to it today - hence the call).

If they have already sent off the docs in the post, then you are stuffed Im afraid, and you will have to wait.

Also if your insurance is all set up under the cherished reg, then picking it up before the changes have gone through at the DVLA would not be a good idea - certainly temoting fate to have a bump while you are waiting for the V5, and then the insurance would no doubt wriggle out of any claim.

Thanks for your reply. He told me he went into the DVLA office to do it over the counter yesterday, but they wouldn't issue the documents there and then.

The insurance shouldn't be a problem as I can ring them and change the registration number.

As it's already taxed and insured I can't see the problem picking it up, its no different to when I first got the number and transfered it my existing car, I could still drive it on the old number whilst the paper work was with the DVLA.

Or am I missing something?

As long as the insurance are happy, and the dealers are hapy to release it - then I suppose its OK.

Its very strange to be told that they wouldnt do it over the desk at the DVLA, thats generally all they do :wacko: very strange.

I always go direct to the DVLA office to sort any reg transfers over - as it removes any delay, and also they sometimes have a member of staff wandering round talking to people queuing up making sure that they have all the rights docs and have everything completed before they get to the front of the queue to be dissapointed and have to start again. :thumbs:

Just dont go near the beginning of a month as you will be in a queue of loads of truckers sorting the tax, and you will be waiting ages...:yawn:

I did ring the DVLA to check what the dealer was telling me about doing it over the counter and they said it couldn't either. :thumbdown:

They did say it would be ok to drive it with the old number. But the dealer says he's given the tax disk to the DVLA :headhurt:

I hope I can get this sorted by Saturday as my MOT runs out on my old car next week :angry:

I did the same and DVLA sent it within 24 hrs

But you have paid for the car,

you own it.

show the dealer your insurance based on old registration.

he should release YOUR car.

THe tax issue, you could be pulled by the police but can show (within 7 days) that you have paid (i would drive it and not worry)