Lightweight wheel nuts on standard Rays?

terribleone

Hi guys, being the organised type I've put my locking wheel nut key somewhere 'safe' and now completely forgotten where that was!! :lol:

I'm looking to get some replacement locking wheel nuts and get mine taken off...looking at the price of McGuards led me to looking at getting some coloured lightweight nuts. Then I stumbled across the 5Zigen nuts which contain lockers in the pack too...bonus! http://z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseacti ... entCat=263

sm_nutt_gun_1082.jpgsm_nut_image3_1085.jpg

My question is, will these fit on standard Rays? Will they stick out too far? Any pics of what other people are using, or would recommend would be appreciated! :thumbs:

wheres the locker on that?

Just looks like a groove cut in it too me, means a socket can still undo them.

If your worried they will stick out too far but also want a colour nut that can act as a good locker then try these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-lightweight-a ... 56372c5a6e

combined with these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-lightweight-a ... 45ef5c9ad4

ignore the fact there on an ebay shop (the proper shop for there website is still being made). they are very very good quality, i should know, i work evenings for that comapny, i had to organise them all at work lol. dropped a few on a concrete floor once and they just dont mark! Very lightweight and strong, and you can get either 20 standard or 16 standard and 4 lockers :) and you know they wont stick out too far :) happy days lol

wheres the locker on that?

Just looks like a groove cut in it too me, means a socket can still undo them.

If your worried they will stick out too far but also want a colour nut that can act as a good locker then try these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-lightweight-a ... 56372c5a6e

combined with these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TPI-lightweight-a ... 45ef5c9ad4

ignore the fact there on an ebay shop (the proper shop for there website is still being made). they are very very good quality, i should know, i work evenings for that comapny, i had to organise them all at work lol. dropped a few on a concrete floor once and they just dont mark! Very lightweight and strong, and you can get either 20 standard or 16 standard and 4 lockers :) and you know they wont stick out too far :) happy days lol

It's not a groove cut in, it's a little notch that sticks out...doesn't look like they'd be too difficult to get off though!!

The ones you've posted up look pretty good, although they're getting near the price of the 5Zigens...and I'm a bit of a brand whore :lol:

ah i see. TPI is a brand :p

Its not cheap ebay crap, they have been around a while but not very long in this country, so where i work became the UK importer of them,

All i can say is, brands dont mean anything! Just a license to print money in my opinion.

Mate of mine had Ultralite Tuner nuts on his evo, he so far has had about 9 out of 16 of them crack, resulting in them needed drilling off the wheel. needless to say the wheels are now damaged too!

They may cost more than most but i dont think you will get much better quality. If any better quality. Give it a couple of years and TPI will be up there i reckon.

Anyway back on topic, i reckon they will stick out of standard rays wheels,

ah i see. TPI is a brand :p

Its not cheap ebay crap, they have been around a while but not very long in this country, so where i work became the UK importer of them,

All i can say is, brands dont mean anything! Just a license to print money in my opinion.

Mate of mine had Ultralite Tuner nuts on his evo, he so far has had about 9 out of 16 of them crack, resulting in them needed drilling off the wheel. needless to say the wheels are now damaged too!

They may cost more than most but i dont think you will get much better quality. If any better quality. Give it a couple of years and TPI will be up there i reckon.

Anyway back on topic, i reckon they will stick out of standard rays wheels,

You've got a good point there...I've always been quite amazed by how light some of these nuts are, and that they're holding on one of the most important parts of your car. Function may get the better over form for me on this one...

So, what discounts can you get set up for club members!!?? ;) (S'cuse the cheekiness, it had to be asked :lol: )

id only be worried about the lightweight tuner nuts cracking, due to them being internal drive the side walls on them are rather thin, so you cant put more than id say 70 ft lb through them with out risk of them cracking. 70ft lbs wouldnt hold a pen up straight let alone wheels on a 280+ bhp zed (or in my mates case near on 500bhp evo III)

external drive (socket type) nuts we have never seen a problem where i work. As there's alot more metal to them.

As for discounts, No harm in asking the boss i guess. Like you said, alot of people on here and any jap forum would only go with high end branded names, so i havnt thought of posting a possible discount up. I had a set on my scooby, and they saved me 890g over the standard ones, thats nearly a kg weight loss just on swapping nuts lol.

If you were seriously interested in a price, i'm sure i can find out for you, just let me know what colour you want and with or without lockers? We also do different coloured steel nut, so basically there not lightweight, but mega strong like oem are, same capped design as the oem nuts are but anodised, red, black, blue and even gold plated! As with the light weight ones, i havn't managed to chip one yet lol and again i deliberatly tried too.

Steel ones are really cheap actually, but no anodised steel lockers are currently not availible.

I'd be interested in black nuts (16 of 12x1.25), plus a set of 4 black locking nuts.

This works out to £73.95 plus postage on your eBay prices. This seems a tad pricey for a set of nuts which are 'new' to the UK market and thus have few user reviews available regarding their longevity and quality.

If your boss is interested in promoting the brand you could always suggest to him that you look into setting up a group buy...maybe shift 5 or 10 sets at a discounted price for people to get trying them out?? :thumbs: