help needed plenum install & nw car poo *update*

billyokco

just installed plenum spacer today and followed evrything to a t, started car up and nw it idles all over place. its fine for a min then drops right down asif its going to stall then picks up again, ive checked all hoses and seem ok. help would be greatly appreciated. done ecu reset aswell

thanks

this is what i followed and cel was blinkin? once ecu is reset does the clock mpg ect get reset because they still from like last time

1.Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch on and wait 3 seconds.

2.Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:

1.Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2.Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3.Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

4.Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5.Wait about 10 seconds.

6.Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

7.Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

8.Turn ignition switch to off position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

it will be a leak and its taking in unmetered air round one of the bolts. get your ear close and listen for hissing. can put your hand over the top 6 bolts aswell to feel if they suck at all.

+1

Did mine a few weeks back and has no idle issues at all. Check for leaks. Check by the oil filler too, that rubber lip is a prime candidate for getting trapped between the spacer and the plenum.

P.S. What spacer, gaskets etc. Also did you use any liquid gasket?

P.P.S. Just a thought, but you didn't accidentally move the throttle butterfly did you, a throttle body reset would be the way to go if you did.

got it all fitted today with new gasket and works a dream totally transform sound of car, dunno if it me thou or not but when driving can feel a vibration through pedals?? could this be anything ive done???

Not sure, what kind of vibration - and which pedals - come to think of it the accelerator is not connected to anything mechanically linking it to the engine (afaik) - if it's clutch or brakes then that isn't anything to do with a plenum spacer. Did you do an ECU reset this time around also, might just be the engine management relearning and causing the engine to run a little lumpy temporarily - i think it takes a few miles from what i've read, although mine seemed fine from the outset.

Check your strut isnt catching on the plenum, that causes vibrations, might need a few washers under your strut to raise it

^ good call - although i would expect you would here that too? If you remove your strut brace if it has been catching you should see where.

yeh ive got spacers under the strut & done resets, will give a good drive 2moz then check strut to see if been catchin any place, i think thats most likely the cause thou cos its only when i really accelerate and guessin thts when engine would move the most

When I used my pure spacer I had to adjust the strut as per the manual otherwise it would rub on either the intake manifold or the hood, its pretty tight. :-) when I used mine there was a noticeable difference in sound and feel! Enjoy!

yeh ive got spacers under the strut & done resets, will give a good drive 2moz then check strut to see if been catchin any place, i think thats most likely the cause thou cos its only when i really accelerate and guessin thts when engine would move the most

u any idea wat side black spot needs to be had no manual or instructions, just read about job on net first and put it back to original location but this obviously catchin, if not will just use trial n error method, just anoyin cos only when movin does it vibrate