Knock Knock Knock

MattMe

Grrrr...

I've had a banging/knocking noise at the front fora while now, so I've been reading a few posts about it.

I'm guessing it'll be the compression rods (bannana bar) as they seem quite common faults.

And a new noise has developed - when breaking hardish at low sppeds I get a clunking from the front drivers side, almost as if the strut's moving :scare: Any ideas what that might be?

Basically I'm going to jack it up this weekend and have a good prod around and see what I can see. Any advice on how best to check what might be making the noise, other than visual checks of bushes etc? How can I tell if it is the compression rods? What about top mounts - is there a way to check them?

I can't think of a way of actually pin-pointing what's making the noise but I'm sure there must be a way. I don't exactly want to buy some rather expensive parts, go through the ball ache of changing them just to find it doesn't go. :thumbdown:

Love you.

Me.

Up to now it's been trial and error AFAIK ... mine was the banana bar but lots more was changed before we got to that fix ... it's a bloody annoying knock and only happens at low speeds ... try left foot braking whilst maintaining a steady low speed over road undulations ... if it stops then it's defo the banana bar

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Up to now it's been trial and error AFAIK ... mine was the banana bar but lots more was changed before we got to that fix ... it's a bloody annoying knock and only happens at low speeds ... try left foot braking whilst maintaining a steady low speed over road undulations ... if it stops then it's defo the banana bar

Hope this helps :thumbs:

+1. yes..it's trial and error. I have had my ARB anti roll bars replaced but the annoying knocking noice is still there. Will be changing the suspension arm(banana bar) hopefully next weekend when it's book into Falcon. My guess will be the banana bar.

Yep mine is doing this as well, knock, knock - whos there - a bloody big bill for new banana bars probably :headhurt:

I havent heard the left foot braking trick yet, ill give that a go when a get the chance to drive again.

I have heard that ZMANALEX does secondhand bits including these bars, but i'm reluctant to shell out on secondhand suspension components.....

Hmmm...

Surely there's a way to tell though - if you took it to a garage I'm sure they'd be able to diagsnose what the problem so why can't we?

Why would braking prevent the compression rod from banging? Might be a stupid question...

Mine seems to rumble/bang over uneven/pot holed roads but hardly ever on smooth road surfaces, but I guess the suspension isn't moving much at that point.

I know second hand would be a lot cheaper but going through the effort of changing them on parts that aren't garunteed, and without knowing the history would seem a little foolish in my eyes. I'd rather fork out and know I wouldn't be doing it again for another 40-50k miles. (fingers crossed). Suspension components and brakes are about the only parts I wouldn't consider second hand. Unless reconditioned, but the bannana bars can't be reconditioned as far as I'm aware, and there's no refund for returning the old parts like you sometimes get on drive shafts etc.

Darn.

I could really do without it. Problem is, it still works, won't fail an MOT on it and still goes alright so it's very tempting to leave it, but you know it'll just get worse and will probably affect other parts if left long enough.

Stupid cars....

Hmmm...

Surely there's a way to tell though - if you took it to a garage I'm sure they'd be able to diagsnose what the problem so why can't we?

Not as far as I know

Why would braking prevent the compression rod from banging? Might be a stupid question...

Have you tried it ? .... it puts the component under load and thus takes out any slack

Mine seems to rumble/bang over uneven/pot holed roads but hardly ever on smooth road surfaces, but I guess the suspension isn't moving much at that point.

That's exactly the way it was for me

I know second hand would be a lot cheaper but going through the effort of changing them on parts that aren't garunteed, and without knowing the history would seem a little foolish in my eyes. I'd rather fork out and know I wouldn't be doing it again for another 40-50k miles. (fingers crossed). Suspension components and brakes are about the only parts I wouldn't consider second hand. Unless reconditioned, but the bannana bars can't be reconditioned as far as I'm aware, and there's no refund for returning the old parts like you sometimes get on drive shafts etc.

So buy new or a low mileage one from ZMAN

Darn.

I could really do without it. Problem is, it still works, won't fail an MOT on it and still goes alright so it's very tempting to leave it, but you know it'll just get worse and will probably affect other parts if left long enough.

So bite the bullet and get it done .... then :drive1:drive1:drive1

Stupid cars....