Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Ian

Hubs/Boss Adaptors

Works Bell

The most commonly used hub for the Z. It comes with an airbag resistor to stop the airbag light from coming on. There are 2 kinds of hubs made by WB - Standard & short.

Standard - This will position the wheel in almost the same reach as the OEM wheel

Short - This is for use with a Quick Release & also positions the wheel in near enough the same reach as OEM.

Cost £100-£120

NRG

Basically a knock off of the Works Bell hub, I have seen cases in the states of them cracking & you really do not want that to happen :surrender:

Cost around £100

They are the only 2 specifically designed kits for the Z that I know of, I know that MOMO make one but I'm not sure if its Z specific or universal.

Quick Releases

Nice to have, but not essential. If you do buy one this is where the horn becomes a bit more complex. It will come with 2 small spacers which the horn must be earthed to in order for it to work. I only figured this out a few days after fitting my wheel & I found them in the box & after I already made my own earthing points.

Lots available, mainly by Works Bell & in a variety of colours expect to pay about £200+ for a good one. Again I need to stress the point that you need a good one - If these fail while your driving it not gonna be pretty.

Available as a quick release or flip up release.

Steering Wheels

Stock wheel is 370MM, Most people seem to feel that the 350MM wheel is the perfect size but you can also get a 330MM. Plenty of choice available depending on whether you want leather or suede finish.

Cost from about £80

Tools Needed

small allen wrench (supplied with WB hub)

T30 tamper-free Torx bit

small flathead screwdriver

19mm socket

10mm socket

Andy has written a good guide to removing & refitting the wheel so follow that guide for it :)

Things I noticed after installation

*Steering wheel no longer locks into place after switching car off

*Can no longer move the wheel without the engine running

*Can no longer rest arm on window comfortably :lol:

I find the smaller wheel much more natural than the OEM size wheel & the few people who have driven my car since fitting them have agreed.

A few pics of my set up.

Works Bell Short Hub

Works Bell Team Orange Quick Release

Works Bell Team Orange Steering Wheel

DSC_3368.jpg

DSC_3369.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

DSC_2662.jpg

DSC_2656.jpg

DSC_2664.jpg

I think that about covers it :) If anyone wants any specific pictures of any part of my setup then let me know & I'll take some :)

• 3 months later...

Ian

I'm looking for a fixed hub adapter for a Momo or Sparco wheel. I've found this:

http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_de ... odID=52893

and this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... 1343/35643

You mention the Works one comes with a resistor which is handy, but it's almost twice the price! If I go for the Momo from Demontweeks is aquiring and fitting a resistor straight forward?

Cheers :thumbs:

Should be straight forward, You might even be able to get the resistors seperatley.

One thing about that momo one though

Boss kits listed for non-airbag cars may fit airbag equipped car makes/models but do not include resistor required to cancel any dash warning/activation light systems. For any queries on fitment, please call.

Leads me to think it might include the resistor :shrug: