OEM GT4(revup) airbox spotted

GT4 Zed

Not a good advert for TDI's testing then, other than for people who want to achieve high numbers (I'm not aiming that at you Matt - it just makes commercial sense for dyno ops to promote modding). The intake runners and plenum control pressure waves in to the cylinders, the airbox bellmouth would not effect this. The 06 design is better, but it could have been done by an undergraduate placement student - the cost of the change would be neglible compared with the other developments to the rev-up.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Steve. TDI had no vested interest in proving this part provided gains and I would describe their approach as "sceptical but curious" (as was I).

I have no reason to think that TDI, Abbey and all the various people in the US who have verified these gains are lying simply to promote modding. That seems like a very weak argument and I think to call them all liars because reality doesn't match your theory seems a little harsh to say the least! After all, the fact that fitting a pop charger style induction kit often loses power seems to be common knowledge. People who lie about the gains for their parts usually get found out and roasted pretty quickly, especially in the US. ;)

I can't tell you why the gains measured don't match what you're saying, but for me empirical testing trumps theory. My 06 airbox cost me about £50 and my car runs stronger with it fitted so I shan't be changing it anytime soon. :)

Not a good advert for TDI's testing then, other than for people who want to achieve high numbers (I'm not aiming that at you Matt - it just makes commercial sense for dyno ops to promote modding). The intake runners and plenum control pressure waves in to the cylinders, the airbox bellmouth would not effect this. The 06 design is better, but it could have been done by an undergraduate placement student - the cost of the change would be neglible compared with the other developments to the rev-up.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Steve. TDI had no vested interest in proving this part provided gains and I would describe their approach as "sceptical but curious" (as was I).

I have no reason to think that TDI, Abbey and all the various people in the US who have verified these gains are lying simply to promote modding. That seems like a very weak argument and I think to call them all liars because reality doesn't match your theory seems a little harsh to say the least! After all, the fact that fitting a pop charger style induction kit often loses power seems to be common knowledge. People who lie about the gains for their parts usually get found out and roasted pretty quickly, especially in the US. ;)

I can't tell you why the gains measured don't match what you're saying, but for me empirical testing trumps theory. My 06 airbox cost me about £50 and my car runs stronger with it fitted so I shan't be changing it anytime soon. :)

I bought my car with the JWT already installed. However I'm going pony chasing and will soon be changing to an 06 airbox. I've done quite a bit of research on the my350 forum and here. There's just too much coincidence backing it up to simply disregard it with the previous mentioned theory. Did you buy yours from another member here mate?

I bought my car with the JWT already installed. However I'm going pony chasing and will soon be changing to an 06 airbox. I've done quite a bit of research on the my350 forum and here. There's just too much coincidence backing it up to simply disregard it with the previous mentioned theory. Did you buy yours from another member here mate?

My thoughts exactly. :thumbs:

I bought my airbox from someone on **REMOVED** although I think they were a member on here too.

If anything they should then say there is a power drop from a standard box 06 compared to a JWT popcharger... or other poppis :D which they don't really... only thing I can think of is that they all sit on 1.600.000 06+ airboxes... :lol:

We will have to agree to disagree. Having engineered and tested many components relating to fuild flow I'm pretty sure of the flow characteristics, if you google 'bellmouth intake design' you will find quite a bit of empirical data (not theory) on flow rates and pressure drops associated with different types of design.

On the topic of intakes that take air from inside the engine bay - it might be interesting to compare logs from dyno runs to those on the road, I doubt the power loss would be as great on the road as it is under dyno conditions.

We will have to agree to disagree. Having engineered and tested many components relating to fuild flow I'm pretty sure of the flow characteristics, if you google 'bellmouth intake design' you will find quite a bit of empirical data (not theory) on flow rates and pressure drops associated with different types of design.

On the topic of intakes that take air from inside the engine bay - it might be interesting to compare logs from dyno runs to those on the road, I doubt the power loss would be as great on the road as it is under dyno conditions.

Might be worth getting some air filters over to you and see what you find with your mapping skills :p

Might be worth getting some air filters over to you and see what you find with your mapping skills :p

:band:

• 5 months later...