Tyre widths on std alloys

rickya

This is a post earlier this year by CDR. Just wondering others thoughts on this, as I missed this discussion earlier.

"I kept the original size on the rear (245/45-18) and went for a wider tyre on the front:

245/40-18

The result is that the car is much less prone to understeer in the dry, and the feeling is much more neutral between front and rear. I based my decision to go for the same width front and rear on the fact that this is what many japanese tuners are doing with the Z (Amuse, Mines, Boss, Sunline Auto etc.).

Before anybody says different - 245/40-18 from BF Goodrich (which is in fact Michelin) is the same diameter as the original 225/45-18's on an 8" wide rim. This means the stagger between front and rear is unchanged, and their are no problems with ESP.

I've tried this setup out on a few tracks and it's very good My friend has also tried the Falkens on track, and complains all the time about the soft sidewalls."

Doesnt do any harm to experiment , sounds about right regarding the understeer :thumbs: will just work out expensive if you get it wrong :scare: in more ways than one..... I think for normal road use I will stick to the conventional wisdom on sizes.. Nissan didnt spend lots of time developing correct sizes for nothing... ( mind you saying that they did stick bloody Bridgestones on :headhurt: )

They cant be that bad? Car im looking at has them on, and i cant afford to put 4 new tyres on when they all have good threads! Well i could, but would have to postpone exhaust.

They can ,, especially in cold / wet conditions..probably ideal for Spain though in mid summer :thumbs: