HKS, engine cut out. not sure why?

B3N

Evening every1

Just a quick 1

About 3 weeks ago I installed my hks suction kit type 2. installed by the book with no obvious problems. Only thing is, when im having a quick blast at speeds, when I release completely off the accelerator sometimes the revs drop past idle then so low the engine cuts. But this only happens when im moving and travelling at speed.

I was thinking maybe its because the air is flowing into the car quicker because of the new filter from the car moving??

Any ideas?

Best regards, Ben

Strange indeed.

From what you describe I assume this must occur when you change gear???

(as if you lifted of normally and didnt dip the clutch the engine would continue to run anyway being driven by the wheels if you like and so would not drop below idle).

So, thinking through whats happening when it occurs(if my assumption is correct above), and also that you have changed *nothing* else.

TPS is telling the ECU there is zero/minimal throttle, this is normal.

I'm not familiar with the kit but I assume it exploits some ram air advantage, the ECU *may* now be receiving a signal telling it that there is significant cool intake airflow but this is in conflict with the TPS requesting minimal throttle. The ECU might be cuting the injectors as a result but I'd be surprised if it did this to the extent that the engine cut out as the lambda sensor would then start to indicate it had drifted from stoichiometric ratios.

When you say the engine cuts, what exactly happens??? Do you slot into another gear hit the throttle and it picks up again?? Or is it misfiring?

is it consistent? does it happen all the time? at all temperatures (engine and ambient). Is there any time it does not happen?

With normal gear change driving it is completely fine.

Only does it when I drive hard and at speed eg,

1st gear (6.5krpm)

2nd gear (6.5krpm)

and so on, till you get to say 5th then you drop off the revs completely so the revs fall from 5k 6kish rite down past the normal idle position until the needle stops then the engine just stalls.

Sometimes it will just stop at idle, this is what I cant understand.

I was thinking maybe, because the filter is very exposed that at speed because the air is rushing directly through the air vents in the bumper and directly head-on the filter, forcing air through, passing the maf sensor (confusing it)

Im going to try resetting the ecu again then take it for a spin.

I have just called hks and they are looking into it.

Il keep you all posted

Thanks every1

Best regards, Ben

Guys, really appreciate all your help, ur life savers! :thumbs:

Reset the ecu, then took it for a blast. Cut out a few times but I kept letting it cut out then restarted over and over a few times, now the ecu has learnt, now it doesn’t do it

:yahoo:

Best regards,

Ben

Oh ps, how many of you r from the bristol area, be good to meet up sometime!

Guest prescience
aaaah I remember that one now! abit late I guess. I thought it did that due to the US people putting the car into neutral while going (for some weird reason) and the fuel cutting out for safety reasons?

:wacko:

Ben

Is it possible that you can resize your avatar please?

Just that it skews the thread mate..... here is the statement about Avatars off the profile page.

"Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 100 pixels, the height no greater than 100 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB."

Can you please resize mate?

Ben

Is it possible that you can resize your avatar please?

Just that it skews the thread mate..... here is the statement about Avatars off the profile page.

"Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 100 pixels, the height no greater than 100 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB."

Can you please resize mate?

:headhurt:

woops sorry every, hope thats betta

B)