HELP - Getting fed up - Brake skimming

SteveW

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me.

Has anyone had their EBC turbgrooves skimmed on the car?

I need to get my rear disks done due to hub run out on the passenger side from a knock on the kerb in the snow.

However, I have tried 4 places I found on www.skimmydiscs.co.uk but no one will do them because they are drilled and grooved.

Has anyone found any places that will do them? I'm based in Wakefield but I am now willing to travel cos I can't drive over 50, well I can as long as I don't use the brakes :drive1 but need to get them done as soon as possible. I'm even considering going to the actual EBC place in northamptonshire.

Does anyone also have a phone number for EBC because all I can find is an email form on their website and they haven't replied yet...... :bang:

Thank you

Steve

Hi mate,

I have considered fixing the underlying issue however this will prove to be very expensive. The wheel bearing would need to be replaced and it is also good practice to replace the hub as well. I've had experience in the past of just replacing the bearing to find it goes again a few thousand miles later due to the hub being out of round following removal of the old bearing.

This should solve the hub run out issue but it can't be garaunteed because of the tolerance stack up of the associated assembly. I used to work in a car plant and disk skimming was done on some brand new cars. If the new bearing and hub etc did solve the hub runout however then new discs would be required because the ones on there now have got a thin patch caused by the hub running out for the last couple of thousand miles.

So either way to use the existing disks they will need skimming and getting them skimmed on the car is the best bet because then they match the hub and run much truer.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

steve

Hi mate,

I have considered fixing the underlying issue however this will prove to be very expensive. The wheel bearing would need to be replaced and it is also good practice to replace the hub as well. I've had experience in the past of just replacing the bearing to find it goes again a few thousand miles later due to the hub being out of round following removal of the old bearing.

This should solve the hub run out issue but it can't be garaunteed because of the tolerance stack up of the associated assembly. I used to work in a car plant and disk skimming was done on some brand new cars. If the new bearing and hub etc did solve the hub runout however then new discs would be required because the ones on there now have got a thin patch caused by the hub running out for the last couple of thousand miles.

So either way to use the existing disks they will need skimming and getting them skimmed on the car is the best bet because then they match the hub and run much truer.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

Makes perfect sense mate. :lol:

In a situation like this the most cost effective way around this issue is to replace the damaged "suspension" parts with preowned.

If you wish to consider going down this route then drop me a pm as I have all the parts that you would require at a fraction of new Nissan prices. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Alex.

Hi mate,

Thanks very much, if I can't find anyone who will skim them up then I'll be stuck with only one route, new everything in that case I'll drop you a PM savings on parts are always appreciated :teeth:

Cheers again

steve