Panel filter

andlid

right lads, I'm asked every day more or less what panel filter to recommend and to be honest I've used this old test to make my own decision to state use APEXI:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Anyone know if there are other tests out there thats a tad newer?

FYI that Apexi lets enough air in too... (tried it without airfilter in dyno shop and gave same results, thats not to say that if you have massive mods it'll be enough but enough for my setup anyway)

Please give some input! :dance:

Have used HKS since last year when we confirmed on live mapping that the OEM airbox with HKS consistently out performed the Short RAM setup(i had AEM installed as short ram) by almost 30deg on spirited runs.

The AEM installed as full kit was just a few degrees down on the OEM setup plus HKS filter and because fitting it meant i had to loose my passenger side windscreen washer i got rid it :p .

Using the HKS has been fine and i change it every 6 months because i believe every filter after prolonged use will become clogged and i am not keen on the cleaning and re-oiling the filters :surrender:

It is also worth pointing out that while that test has obvious limitations with no control group its cannot be used to extrapolate the performance of panel filters from these manufacturers.

Also Apexi does not make panel filter for the zed AFAIK. The HKS super hybrid panel filter is a dry filter etc

Have used HKS since last year when we confirmed on live mapping that the OEM airbox with HKS consistently out performed the Short RAM setup(i had AEM installed as short ram) by almost 30deg on spirited runs.

The AEM installed as full kit was just a few degrees down on the OEM setup plus HKS filter and because fitting it meant i had to loose my passenger side windscreen washer i got rid it :p .

Using the HKS has been fine and i change it every 6 months because i believe every filter after prolonged use will become clogged and i am not keen on the cleaning and re-oiling the filters :surrender:

It is also worth pointing out that while that test has obvious limitations with no control group its cannot be used to extrapolate the performance of panel filters from these manufacturers.

Also Apexi does not make panel filter for the zed AFAIK. The HKS super hybrid panel filter is a dry filter etc

I got an Apexi filter for my Z... :lol:B)

You are correct on the control group part but there is NO other tests out there so... my 2cents is to get the best clean/performance filter and change it... not sure 6months is the time though, depends on where and how you drive... then again I heard the HKS don't do well with rubber in them (read chav burnouts) :p

Is that true? i looked for these a while back and settled for HKS. I have to say Apexi looks well engineered.

where can i get this for next time?

How long you reckon a change then?

At £30ish a pop its not worth keeping any longer ;) They way i see it is, if you bought a good CAI eg £270. you will need to change the panel filter 9x(4.5 years @6monthly changes or 9 years yearly) to have spent the same money ;)

Leave the burnouts to rest :boxing:

Is that true? i looked for these a while back and settled for HKS. I have to say Apexi looks well engineered.

where can i get this for next time?

How long you reckon a change then?

At £30ish a pop its not worth keeping any longer ;) They way i see it is, if you bought a good CAI eg £270. you will need to change the panel filter 9x(4.5 years @6monthly changes or 9 years yearly) to have spent the same money ;)

Leave the burnouts to rest :boxing:

:lol:

MY apexi set me back more then 30£ to be honest... closer to 100€ If I'm not completely wrong, due a change actually. I got mine in Ireland, I'm sure one of the bigger traders or smaller could source them for you... if they don't just put you onto their own brand that they sell? Maybe worth a gb? :snack:

I change mine when I 'feel' it's due a change, look at it first and bang it against the wall and if it's lots of particles falling off it I either clean it with high pressure air or bin it. It's all to much of a hit and miss to say every 1000 miles etc, depends to much on your driving and where you drive...

:blush:

After a bit of a search i found this interesting read ;)

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm

These links below are just a few within the main article:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/in ... 0tests.htm

http://autospeed.com/A_111486/cms/article.html

The summary in most of these articles is that don't bother to change the factory setup. Most aftermarket filters do more harm to you engine and donot out perform the OEM paper filter. They claim to flow more which means they filter less :scare: and the primary function of the filter is to filter as the real restriction is with the intake design. This design is limited by many considerations from the manifacturer and if you can improve it this is where the gains are :thumbs:

Cool, well I knew it would need to be less restrictive = filter less that the whole idea... take out your panel filter and you get max flow :D not that you need it as Istated above the Apexi gives enough air through without to restrictive but cleaning is anyone's guess. My dad used to use tights on his carbed cars! :scare::lol:

So should i get some drop in filters before i go to abbey for a remap or not?

:headhurt:

That chioce is yours mate but i doubt it make much alot difference ;) But if you must then i can recommend HKS that i have used for sometime but i never compared it with the OEM paper filter but i believe it will be the same power output plus the guarantee that the paper filters efficiently as expected from the manufacturer.

The restriction is with the air intake system(ie the pick up area , air box, MAF housing, tubing and TB) and not the filter which makes little restriction as you may led to believe. So called high flow filter will be limited by these factory intake design restriction and also filter less (In order to flow more as claimed because flow is proportional to filtration :lol: ) which is not good for you engine!

Another option is a good CAI will only brings marginal gains 3-5hp rather than the 15-20 quoted but their "high flow" cone filter could also allow more dirt in too or even ingest water.

The only mod that is safe is the factory air box and OEM paper filter or a 2006 airbox with OEM filter as this is better designed than the earlier ones and Mark @ Abbey has been saying this for ages ;)

Other improvement lie with removing restrictions in the plenum with use of a plenum spacer and or MREV2 lower collector but you have to look at bang for bucks and decide for yourself.

Hi all,

So to clarify, changing the air panel filter from the OEM filter doesnt actually improve performance?, instead maybe fitting an air intake hole i.e Nostrel, or something of that nature to improve the air intake as a hole would improve the performance?, i ask because im tempted to get a panel filter but mine is a brand new OEM and aint gonna bother if it aint gonna improve the performance! :thumbs:

cheers guys

Hi all,

So to clarify, changing the air panel filter from the OEM filter doesnt actually improve performance?, instead maybe fitting an air intake hole i.e Nostrel, or something of that nature to improve the air intake as a hole would improve the performance?, i ask because im tempted to get a panel filter but mine is a brand new OEM and aint gonna bother if it aint gonna improve the performance! :thumbs:

cheers guys

it will increase performance to change from oem to a performance brand (let more air in) also the sound will change. :thumbs: