Rattle when pulling away from standstill

Animal

Every time I pull away (unless I use a bootful of revs and ride the clutch) I'm getting a rattle from somewhere in the oily bits (I can't hear quite where). This only lasts for a second or two until the car is moving.

Any ideas? :shrug:

The sound (hollow) woudl go with your heat shield theory or a bit of trim... Jack it up and have a good look under to see if there is anything loose or exhaust hanger has gone and the exhaust is knocking.

Other thing is to get a mate in a quite area to listen to it carefully from outside to try and pinpoint where it is coming from. (front/rear left/right). Helped me find that the rattle on my last car was poorly fitting brake pad.

My missus had a god awful rattle once only happened on over-run when depressing the clutch - turned out to be a bit of loose metal in the exhaust. :yuck:

Now that sounds identical to a noise I've noticed. You don't by any chance have a K2? I've just done some testing and found this noise is coming from the left exhaust tailpipe - as near as I can describe it, the sheet of metal just inside the tailpipe seems to be a little loose. I reckon a small weld to join it to the lip of the tailpipe exit should sort it out - another one for the list. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...