Blackout Headlights.....

cfoster

I do really like the look of that one, and in my eyes i would not see the need for the reflectors as you say the headlights are projected and not reflected...

Obviously the reflectors are for your high beams and indicators but the bulbs are actually really bright and i think the light they create would suffice.. (and who needs high beams? :shrug::lol: )

This holds true for only the pre-facelift single xenon headlightonly. the normal (xenon) beam is projected but the highbeam(H7 halogen is reflected) so if someone who has done this blackout on the prefacelift light can confirm its not too much of a handicap on the high beam i will proceed.

Or otherwise get the 2007+ face lift bi-xenons like the white zed above. In this both highbeam and normal are projected and a solenoid shutter makes the switch from dipped to high beam ;)

I do really like the look of that one, and in my eyes i would not see the need for the reflectors as you say the headlights are projected and not reflected...

Obviously the reflectors are for your high beams and indicators but the bulbs are actually really bright and i think the light they create would suffice.. (and who needs high beams? :shrug::lol: )

This holds true for only the pre-facelift single xenon headlightonly. the normal (xenon) beam is projected but the highbeam(H7 halogen is reflected) so if someone who has done this blackout on the prefacelift light can confirm its not too much of a handicap on the high beam i will proceed.

Or otherwise get the 2007+ face lift bi-xenons like the white zed above. In this both highbeam and normal are projected and a solenoid shutter makes the switch from dipped to high beam ;)

+1 , this will only work on +06 headlights if you have the older style them what jay has is the closest you will get with out becoming illegal :thumbs:

+1 , this will only work on +06 headlights if you have the older style them what jay has is the closest you will get with out becoming illegal :thumbs:

I am planning on doing this to my 06+ headlights in the next month or so...after that ill have a spare set of 06+ headlights up for sale :thumbs:

He has used 'lamin-x'.

google them.

Just did and ordered some of their subtle headlight tint film...... i'll post up pics when i've done it....... B)

Should be this kinda tinted effect.........

Is that safe? There's quite a few people on my350Z that have had issues with their lenses cracking due to eyelids being fitted. Could these not cause a similar problem? Might be worth doing a bit of research on the US forums to be on the safe side (unless you've already looked into it). :thumbs:

Is that safe? There's quite a few people on my350Z that have had issues with their lenses cracking due to eyelids being fitted. Could these not cause a similar problem? Might be worth doing a bit of research on the US forums to be on the safe side (unless you've already looked into it). :thumbs:

Haven't looked into it at all bud, it's just a film that covers the lights, kinda like a very light window tint...... why would this cause my lenses to crack......? :wacko:

Haven't looked into it at all bud, it's just a film that covers the lights, kinda like a very light window tint...... why would this cause my lenses to crack......? :wacko:

I think the reasoning behind the eyelids thing is that they don't allow the plastic headlight lenses to expand properly in the heat of the sun so you eventually get stress fractures all over the lenses. I guess in theory this might occur with the film too but it might be worth a search to see if anyone in the US has the problem. Of course you need a decent amount of hot sun for this to occur so it might not be an issue in the UK! :lol:

I have had the eyelids on mine for 7months..no cracks :scare: ..seems fine to me ;)

Here's a recent thread about it but there are others if you search on there:

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-in ... ightz.html

Seems a bit hit and miss and some people don't find the cracks until the eyelids are removed. Obviously the usual my350z pinch of salt applies too! ;) Personally I wouldn't risk it though, especially if I had the 06+ headlights as they are £700+ second hand and the lenses aren't available separately.

EDIT: There is some mention of "overlays" in that thread too, not sure if that is the same as the tinting film though. :shrug:

I have had the eyelids on mine for 7months..no cracks :scare: ..seems fine to me ;)

Here's a recent thread about it but there are others if you search on there:

http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-in ... ightz.html

Seems a bit hit and miss and some people don't find the cracks until the eyelids are removed. Obviously the usual my350z pinch of salt applies too! ;) Personally I wouldn't risk it though, especially if I had the 06+ headlights as they are £700+ second hand and the lenses aren't available separately.

EDIT: There is some mention of "overlays" in that thread too, not sure if that is the same as the tinting film though. :shrug:

Good find Matt, can't for the life of me fathom how tinting the lenses slightly or fitting eyelids can cause the lenses to crack though........ someone please explain the science bit to me :lol::bounce:

Surely our summer can't be hotter than the microwave oven used to take them apart :dry:

I don't think people use Microwaves for that, a conventional oven or heat gun seems to be the norm. ;)

As to the oven being hotter, yes that's true but it depends on if you've got the eyelids fitted when you stick them in the oven doesn't it? The theory is that the lenses try to expand in the heat and the eyelid interferes with the expansion causing the stress cracks.

Also several people on My350z who have sent their headlights to be modded have recieved them back with stress cracks in the lenses. I know of at least one person on my350z who (eventually) got a new set of headlights out of CinCity for this reason:

http://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissa ... omers.html

I think CinCity have been banned as a trader on there now due to issues like this.

The tints could increase the temp becuase the tint it's self would absorb alot of the heat from the sun, however this would also work the other way as it means not as much heat would be getting inside the headlight itself? If the headlight can withstand the heat coming from the bulb then i would think it could withstand the heat of our sun. As dene8 said they'll work the same as window tints. cars always cooler inside when you have them.

The tints could increase the temp becuase the tint it's self would absorb alot of the heat from the sun, however this would also work the other way as it means not as much heat would be getting inside the headlight itself? If the headlight can withstand the heat coming from the bulb then i would think it could withstand the heat of our sun. As dene8 said they'll work the same as window tints. cars always cooler inside when you have them.

I don't think it's an issue of heat as such, they're obviously designed to stand up to everything from Siberia to Saudi as well as the heat from the HIDs. I think the problem with the eyelids/overlays is supposed to be that they interfere with the normal expansion and contraction of the lens when the temperature increases or decreases.

In the case of the CinCity lights perhaps they were rushing and just used too much heat too quickly on those when trying to separate them and the plastic shattered internally? :shrug: