Advice from Exedy

evest

Hi folks,

I know clutch and flywheel has been discussed on here loads and I have read them, but please bear with me - I just got off the phone to Exedy with the following info, leaving me with some decisions to make, and I'd appreciate your help.

I have bought a standard Exedy clutch from a supplier on Ebay (who I have learnt Exedy will no longer deal with over trading disputes). Maybe a schoolboy error, however Exedy have confirmed the part numbers so looks like I got away with it - although the clutch is not covered by Exedy due to its being purchased on Ebay. Not a problem - that was my choice.

Going off some of the reviews and opinions on here, I decided to buy a Fidanza flywheel to go with the clutch.

However, whilst chatting over the flywheel/clutch with the Exedy rep, he questioned my decision to install a lightened flywheel alongside a standard clutch which isn't designed for it. In addition he asked, since my car is otherwise unmodified (to any significant power degree) what's the point in a lightened flywheel?

He suggested that the Fidanza flywheel will expose the standard Exedy clutch to a higher degree of torque from the engine than it was designed for, unnecessarily increasing the wear on the clutch and for the sake of hardly noticeable performance gains. If installing the Fidanza then I should choose a higher performance clutch, or get a standard flywheel - seemed logical.

In addition, he stated that even if my clutch had been under warranty, this would be immediately void if used with a non-standard flywheel.

Have I been stupid to buy the Fidanza? :doh:

I bought the flywheel from that very man!

Although it was a while ago now, last year in fact; only just getting round to installing the parts. He did explain the characteristics of the Fidanza once installed, which sounded good and I know a lot of members love theirs - just having second thoughts now after my conversation with Exedy.

Maybe worth discussing your concerns with Alex since you have now spoke to a rep. I am sure Alex will be able to answer any questions and put your mind at rest. I know alot of people have this combo and I don't think there have been any problems. A bit more noise at idle I believe but other than that :shrug:

Yeah he was very helpful when I was making the decision to buy it; answered all my newbie type questions - really quick delivery too! :thumbs: He also said the only real side effect was the extra idle noise you mention.

It was just the suggestion of extra torque being applied to a clutch not rated for it that alerted me - but now I'm thinking surely this only becomes a problem if you're hooning it. If the collective experience of drivers running this combo on here states that there isn't an issue, then I'm happy to take that on balance. Maybe the Exedy guy was angling for me to buy an uprated clutch from him!

Perhaps I'm just a bit 'spooked' prior to an expensive installation.

Cheers :thumbs:

:headhurt: Let us know what you find on your travels...

find it funny to read from the Exedy rep that they see no reasons to install a lighter flywheel since you wont feel any difference in power delivery and then next say that the warranty is void because of the increase in torq lol, whatever is true that didnt' read right to me :D

I'm guessing the warranty thing is probably a blanket protection against their products being combined with other brands which they can't guarantee. Or, more cynically, maybe it's to encourage people to buy a matching brand flywheel...

I think he was trying to suggest that there is no point buying a higher performance flywheel if the rest of the car hasn't been upgraded in kind. Whilst I see what he means, not many of us can afford to upgrade a whole car in one go, so gotta start somewhere!

Anyhow, I have bought the kit and it's not making my Zed any better in the boxes!

Thanks for your input :thumbs: