Further N/A Mod's

captint

Ok, so for the timebeing, i can't afford to go down the F/I route. So I was thinking with the current pot that is burning a whole in my pocket I would do the following (bearing in mind HF cats a kinetix Plenium all ready fitted)

HKS Tip Hyper Exhaust or DC Cat Back Exhaust

DC Headers

JWT Pop Charger

and then get a HKS FCON SZ ECU fitted and mapped

So the question is will I get any overall power gains,(i'm thinking around 20BHP from this) or will I just be wasting money on alot of noise? :help:

Ok, so for the timebeing, i can't afford to go down the F/I route. So I was thinking with the current pot that is burning a whole in my pocket I would do the following (bearing in mind HF cats a kinetix Plenium all ready fitted)

HKS Tip Hyper Exhaust or DC Cat Back Exhaust

DC Headers

JWT Pop Charger

and then get a HKS FCON SZ ECU fitted and mapped

So the question is will I get any overall power gains,(i'm thinking around 20BHP from this) or will I just be wasting money on alot of noise? :help:

If one day you are going FI then it's not a bad setup but if not you'll probably be wasting money on a lot of noise :p

the car will feel better for it though :D

And if your going TT make sure you fit a true dual to start :)

Cheers Spill

Your grounding kits, would I notice the difference and for someone who is totally useless at mechanics, how hard are they to install?

So I would get no perfromance gains at all. How come the 350Z can't be modded effectivley through N/A :bang:

Cheers Spill

Your grounding kits, would I notice the difference and for someone who is totally useless at mechanics, how hard are they to install?

So I would get no perfromance gains at all. How come the 350Z can't be modded effectivley through N/A :bang:

Grounding kits that's easy, difference yes, installation if you can wire a plug no problems, basically they smooth idling and acceleration especially when pulling away from islands, a small section of a quote from a post recently which sums up why the earthing is so poor on the zeds. BTW it doesn’t effect some cars

Very quickly the savings made by reducing the number of conductors in 100,000 looms for manufacture of motor vehicles is huge, when Nissan took the decision to reduce the number of return paths (earth wires) from various parts of the vehicle it saved millions not only on their production saloon cars but their full range of off road capable vehicles.

When it came to the sport variants they imposed the same savings

Adding a grounding kit reduces the delay in signal return and hence improves the speed running and removes the "lag" of the timing system when returning to tickover hence the smooth running with the kit.

Moding the car is a difficult one, this is my story, first I went for the new exhaust the improvement in power using the arse dyno lasted for about two weeks, but it did breath freer,

Running it on a track at the top of the rev range you could tell the car was starved of air so we tried a simple modification to the seal around the bonnet and again it ran a lot better,

So I bought a Injen CAI this made absolutely no difference other than noise, I then whilst driving through a deep puddle used the intake as a snorkel and filled the engine with water (hydrolock) so binned it,

Next went for a kinetix plenum and CATS this seemed to improve mid range power but the noise was horrible so binned that and went for APS

Having dyno'd the zed with very little mods and then with plenum, cats and exhaust you can see the HP curve smooth off and AFR stabilise but power wise nothing radical. Steve-b was probably the first to prove this but he also had pullies.

Being a member of the 350 community now for 2+ years I've learnt that the ecu on our car has sometype of fuzzy logic which compensates the system to give a stock feel, whether this is true or just an old wives tales can't comment but for me it seems to be about right.

What I suggest is plan your mods in advance and only choose mods for a certain goal, that way you won't waste cash whilst perusing that golden goose.

I've now gone supercharged but that still comes with it's price, when I ditched the kinetix plenum the air capacity of the APS is a lot greater and the injectors can't cope so to get rid of the noise problem I've also had to fit 550CC injectors, now my fuel pipes can't cope with the improved fuel pump so they've now got to be changed I'm trying to be proactive at the moment and guess whats next but where do you stop.

BTW my cars running about 380hp @ flywheel and I’d hate to total up how much it’s cost me per additional hp.

In theory, if i changed my ECU, to an FCON. Would the car retain any potential power gains

yes, although you'd in teory have to remap it every time you add something, so really this should be done at the end of the mods list :)

Also UTEC might be a better solution as FCONs can only be mapped by authorised tuners = more money. But noone in the UK has had a UTEC fitted yet. Or mapped.

I'll get round to it sooner or later.

Also headers will be a waste of money if you want to go TT later on.

Guest prescience

The FCON SZ has been superseded (some months ago now) by the iS.

The cost of installing such an HKS piggy-back EMS will be of the order of:

- £600 for the unit

- £300 for the ECU harness

- £150 for installation

- £400 for tuning

Expensive, yes. However, there is no doubt (in my mind) that due to its flexibility and more particularly, its resolution, it is broadly a superior (and extendable) unit to the UTEC and due to the non-existent tuning expertise with the UTEC in the UK, the choice becomes even more polarised.

As to whether it is worth that money to achieve 20 BHp gains is a moot point but one which is more easily justified if you have the longer F/I goal in mind :)

[Couldn't stand by on this thread - to avoid money being ill-spent :)]

The FCON SZ has been superseded (some months ago now) by the iS.

The cost of installing such an HKS piggy-back EMS will be of the order of:

- £600 for the unit

- £300 for the ECU harness

- £150 for installation

- £400 for tuning

Expensive, yes. However, there is no doubt (in my mind) that due to its flexibility and more particularly, its resolution, it is broadly a superior (and extendable) unit to the UTEC and due to the non-existent tuning expertise with the UTEC in the UK, the choice becomes even more polarised.

As to whether it is worth that money to achieve 20 BHp gains is a moot point but one which is more easily justified if you have the longer F/I goal in mind :)

[Couldn't stand by on this thread - to avoid money being ill-spent :)]

Sounds like if your not going T/t or supercharged, it's a hell of a lot of money for 20bhp, I dont think there will be any tangible benefit for £1500 :headhurt: money better spent eleswhere?? Brakes Etc.??

I was thinking, get the exhaust first, as I have done the Plenium and HF Cats, the exhaust would sort the flow out, doing my grounding tomorrow. So options are

HKS / Miltek / DC

HKS - Pricey and perhaps tooloud for everyday and motorway use

Milltek - as per Lomoto, perhaps too quiet

DC - Rated highly, although dealer seems to be in cheshire

Then do Manifolds make dependant on Exhaust

Then do JWT Pop charger, (although I am still not sure if Air Intakes are just a con)

Then do the ECU once this is all in place. What do you reckon all in 35 HP? :wacko:

Guest prescience
I was thinking, get the exhaust first, as I have done the Plenium and HF Cats, the exhaust would sort the flow out, doing my grounding tomorrow. So options are

HKS / Miltek / DC

Then do JWT Pop charger, (although I am still not sure if Air Intakes are just a con)

Then do the ECU once this is all in place. What do you reckon all in 35 HP? :wacko:

I really wish for your sakes that it worked out that way with this car. But I cannot say more determinedly, IT DOES NOT

Please look on my350z.com for a user called sentry65 (he is Vortech now BTW) who spent more money than you can imagine being justifiable seeking NA performance from this car - better yet shoot him a PM, he is a great guide to this.

Eventually and resetting his ecu every second trip, he managed probably 60 (US BHp) extra - if you think that is good, please do a cost-benefit analysis.

[Only 4 posts left now :(]

HKS / Miltek / DC

Popcharger is ace mate :thumbs:

It is however just a noise thing, but it does sound grrrrrr :teeth:

HKS / Miltek / DC

THOUGHT IT GAVE AN EXTRA 6.5BHP :)

HKS / Miltek / DC

Its supposed to but I don't think a dyno would show that ;)

HKS / Miltek / DC

What reasoning do you submit such a claim???

HKS / Miltek / DC

What reasoning do you submit such a claim???

Read it somewhere :p

show me!!!

Can't cos I read it somewhere.

If that's the case then obviously there is a hard copy somewhere!!!

Can't believe JWT would risk making such a claim :dry: Aimw :)

Ask Val or Dorian. I'm sure that they would agree that the popcharger is very unlikely to provide you with an extra 6.5 bhp :)