Not my car , BUT !!!!!!

lomoto

A good friend of mine, has just bought a Z, 53 plate UK ,,still in warranty.. asked my opinion and bought it round for me to give it the once over.. nice car, every option ,sat nav ,rays ,leather,cruise,etc. etc..28000 miles

Fine.. took it for a run, straight away noticed it has the clicky rear axle problem.. Question is will he get this fixed Ok under warranty, or will it be trauma ?? Service history is up to date, probably ready for another fairly soon..and what do most dealers do to cure this? just the grease fix or actually replace the parts..I ask this as the car is only a few months from running out of the warranty period and wouldnt want a reoccurrence when its out :scare:

by the way told him to post up on here :teeth: assured him of a warm welcome ;)

If the car is still under Nissan Warranity then reckon he's best trying to get it sorted properly rather than the quick fix approach.

What has your friend got to loose from trying....nothing.

Tim, your friend should always listen to the elders. :p

If the car is still under Nissan Warranity then reckon he's best trying to get it sorted properly rather than the quick fix approach.

What has your friend got to loose from trying....nothing.

Tim, your friend should always listen to the elders. :p

Ohhh yes he's going to try, but just wondered what reception is likely to be as I have no experience of Nissan dealers (I keep well away :teeth: )

Guest prescience
Slightly OT, but this rear clicking, what would it cost to fix on a JDM/ out of warranty uk car?

Since one of the (two) fixes on the Nissan Hi-Tech system is rotating the driveshafts 180degs, that should be fairly low cost. Clearly replacement would be rather more expensive ;)

A dealer-inspired fix (I use the term loosely) is to simply re-torque the bolts; it is doubtful that has anything other than a short-term, get the owner's car out of the warranty period :rant: type of effect

If it were me and the dealer did the re-torque and re-grease fix, I would write a letter to them (even if it worked) thanking them for their efforts but stating that:

- I believed that the solution was a short-term masking of the issue not a 'fix'

- I believed that 2 correct fixes existed on their Hi-Tech system and state them

- noting that if the issue recurred and the car was out of warranty, since it had been first reported DURING the warranty period I would expect one or both of the 2 fixes to be implemented FOC

- if this was not the case, I would be seeking legal advice

I think I'd be inclined to mark the drive shafts sublty before putting it into the dealer for corrective work. I'm not at all cynical or suspicious :dry:

What's important here is that the fault is logged and "in the system" before warranty expires. You then have better grounds for getting things sorted properly if the fix turns out to be a bodge.

Slightly OT: how common is this problem and more importantly how long (in miles) have people had to drive before it becomes noticeable?

Peter

Guest prescience

See my modifications above which support what you have just posted and how I would go about it.

I don't know exact details but this was supposed only to occur on cars up to about February 2004, that is transparently not the case. It seems to me a sufficiently common occurrence that other manufacturers would implement a recall, but you never seem to get that with Nissan

ps on the subtle marking and 180deg solution I would tell them (if they suggested they were intending to do this) that I had previously taken the back wheel off since I was concerned that this was causing the problem and had take a photo of the driveshaft etc so I would be able to tell if this work had been carried out (even if I couldn't ;) ) - just to concentrate their efforts you understand ;)

Slightly OT, but this rear clicking, what would it cost to fix on a JDM/ out of warranty uk car?

Since one of the (two) fixes on the Nissan Hi-Tech system is rotating the driveshafts 180degs, that should be fairly low cost. Clearly replacement would be rather more expensive ;)

A dealer-inspired fix (I use the term loosely) is to simply re-torque the bolts; it is doubtful that has anything other than a short-term, get the owner's car out of the warranty period :rant: type of effect

If it were me and the dealer did the re-torque and re-grease fix, I would write a letter to them (even if it worked) thanking them for their efforts but stating that:

- I believed that the solution was a short-term masking of the issue not a 'fix'

- I believed that 2 correct fixes existed on their Hi-Tech system and state them

- noting that if the issue recurred and the car was out of warranty, since it had been first reported DURING the warranty period I would expect one or both of the 2 fixes to be implemented FOC

- if this was not the case, I would be seeking legal advice

good advice :thumbs: thanks ..going to print this off and arm my chum with a copy

See my modifications above which support what you have just posted and how I would go about it.

I don't know exact details but this was supposed only to occur on cars up to about February 2004, that is transparently not the case. It seems to me a sufficiently common occurrence that other manufacturers would implement a recall, but you never seem to get that with Nissan

ps on the subtle marking and 180deg solution I would tell them (if they suggested they were intending to do this) that I had previously taken the back wheel off since I was concerned that this was causing the problem and had take a photo of the driveshaft etc so I would be able to tell if this work had been carried out (even if I couldn't ;) ) - just to concentrate their efforts you understand ;)

Yeah, good old Nissan GB! :thumbdown:

Kat took the Micra in because there was a problem with the ignition. The stealer told her they couldn't find anything wrong and sent her away - seems to be the standard response to any problem at my stealers. Then about 2 weeks later we get a recall letter - there's a problem with the ignition!!!! :angry:

Sorry to go OT but just an illustration of the quality of Nissan GB and ther delaer network.

Kat took the Micra in because there was a problem with the ignition. The stealer told her they couldn't find anything wrong and sent her away - seems to be the standard response to any problem at my stealers. Then about 2 weeks later we get a recall letter - there's a problem with the ignition!!!! :angry:

Sorry to go OT but just an illustration of the quality of Nissan GB and ther delaer network.

just an indication of the p1ss poor service dished out by the car industry as a whole :headhurt:

not only do we pay more for our vehicles than anywhere else in Europe (may be the world I dont know !! ) we seem tio have the worst aftersales backup to boot :angry:

just an indication of the p1ss poor service dished out by the car industry as a whole :headhurt:

not only do we pay more for our vehicles than anywhere else in Europe (may be the world I dont know !! ) we seem tio have the worst aftersales backup to boot :angry:

Agreed. I approach any contact with any dealer braced for an argument and ready to be ripped off. It shouldn't have to be this way..... :thumbdown:

I think I'd be inclined to mark the drive shafts sublty before putting it into the dealer for corrective work. I'm not at all cynical or suspicious :dry:

What's important here is that the fault is logged and "in the system" before warranty expires. You then have better grounds for getting things sorted properly if the fix turns out to be a bodge.

Slightly OT: how common is this problem and more importantly how long (in miles) have people had to drive before it becomes noticeable?

Peter

Both your and Dorians suggestions are excellent :thumbs:

1. Lots of dealerships are cowboys

2. Any part replaced under warranty should receive extended warranty

• 1 month later...

Peter

I purchased a zed 2 weeks ago privately. 15 months old, 12k on the clock. Has started clicking as described in this thread. Dealer has had a quick look and has it booked in for next Monday to remedy the problem. Said it may need regreasing or possibly replacement of the bearing...

Is it dangerous for me to drive it in the meantime?

Will post when I have got it fixed!

After I got my clicking fixed for a second time :dry:, I asked the garage if they'd changed the components this time as last time (they "greased it up" before) it started clicking again after 4-5 months. They said that they'd changed some parts and if the problem reoccurs, they'll fix it again *out of warranty* as it shows the initial fix didn't remedy the problem!

You can bet I'll hold them to that if it happens again, but I guess it depends what your dealer is prepared to do.

After I got my clicking fixed for a second time :dry:, I asked the garage if they'd changed the components this time as last time (they "greased it up" before) it started clicking again after 4-5 months. They said that they'd changed some parts and if the problem reoccurs, they'll fix it again *out of warranty* as it shows the initial fix didn't remedy the problem!

You can bet I'll hold them to that if it happens again, but I guess it depends what your dealer is prepared to do.

You got it in writing??? :)

haha, I'd be lucky! :dry:

I'm hoping I won't have to test them, but it does make sense that if a problem happened twice and then came back out of warranty, their "fix" didn't work and it would need fixing properly.

imo mate anything that breaks within warranty period should have extended warranty for a further 3 years!!!.... I must remember to have a chat with Nissan :dry:

Just had mine done. Apparently something to do with some bolts or something. Anyhoo pleased to say that it has worked no problem.

Also i asked them to look into my propshaft (maybe) rattling/juddering when i depress the clutch to take off.

Consequently the car has been handed back feeling alot tighter and alot less noisy (DC Sports system aside...) :sun:

Peter

I purchased a zed 2 weeks ago privately. 15 months old, 12k on the clock. Has started clicking as described in this thread. Dealer has had a quick look and has it booked in for next Monday to remedy the problem. Said it may need regreasing or possibly replacement of the bearing...

OK, got the car back today, Nissan have fixed the annoying clicking noise and the car feels great. When I asked them if they had replaced anything or just regreased, they said that no replacement parts were required as the parts on my vehicle weren't affected by the "common problem" found on the driveshaft bearing. They said that the code number on the driveshaft identifies to them if it is affected by the problem or not.

This suggests to me that Nissan may have acknowledged this problem internally, but don't want to publicly announce the fact...

They've also fixed my annoying window problem. It used to drop down a fraction when I hit about 80 after hard acceleration. Fingers crossed it stays fixed!

Another pic of said zed attached as its had a good clean now :thumbs:

Tim

Peter

OK, got the car back today, Nissan have fixed the annoying clicking noise and the car feels great. When I asked them if they had replaced anything or just regreased, they said that no replacement parts were required as the parts on my vehicle weren't affected by the "common problem" found on the driveshaft bearing. They said that the code number on the driveshaft identifies to them if it is affected by the problem or not.

This suggests to me that Nissan may have acknowledged this problem internally, but don't want to publicly announce the fact...

They've also fixed my annoying window problem. It used to drop down a fraction when I hit about 80 after hard acceleration. Fingers crossed it stays fixed!

Another pic of said zed attached as its had a good clean now :thumbs:

Tim

Oh dear. After the grand total of 4 miles, the driveshaft has started clicking again. Just called the dealer who said "that'll be because its been wet. Water must have got in and washed the grease out"

I then pointed out to him that it hasn't been out in the wet and has done 4 miles since they fixed it.

Its going in again tomorrow morning. I'm starting to become annoyed.

:rant: