Oil where it should not be.

MattMe

I changed my spark plugs yesterday, starting with cylinder six (back of the engine, passanger side) and found the plug covered in oil, and a lot of oil in there too.

The rest were dry, as they should be, and the spark seemed to be tightened down as well as the rest.

I'm concerned it might be something serious (even more serious than the temp gauge reading incorrectly) but not sure what could cause it.

Is it possible the plug was damaged and allowed the oil to escape through the top half of the plug somehow?

I'd like to check it again but it was a bit of an awkward job getting to it!

I hope it's nothing serious :thumbdown:

It will be the seal in the cam box gasket mate (not the gasket)

The seals are not available separately so a replacement cam box will be required.

I have plenty of these available.

If you can change the plugs then you will have the necessary skills to swop out the cam box.

Give me a shout if I can help you further. :thumbs:

Alex.

Cheers Alex.

Can you PM me prices please?

I know this may sound stupid but I've never heard of a 'cam box' before :blush:

Any details on how to do this please? And where's the oil coming from then - above the spark plug? I'm so confused now, thanks!

:shrug:

Cheers Alex.

Can you PM me prices please?

I know this may sound stupid but I've never heard of a 'cam box' before :blush:

Any details on how to do this please? And where's the oil coming from then - above the spark plug? I'm so confused now, thanks!

:shrug:

The cam box is just another name for the rocker cover.

There is one on each side of the engine.

To remove the spark plugs you have to insert the plug spanner down through the hole in the cam box to get to the spark plugs.

There is one seal for each spark plug and the seal is above the spark plug so the oil is running down the way.

Any clearer ? ;):lol::thumbs:

You have pm. :)

Cheers,

Alex.

Cheers Alex.

I thought after I posted that cam box probably meant rocker cover - so yes it does make more sense now.

I've confused how the seal's gone though and that I have to buy a new rocker cover to fix it!

Is it likely to cause damage if I left it a couple moths to repair? Is that another stupid question? Just I was planning on taking some of the engine to pieces in August anyway... suppose it depends how much oil I've got coming through...

Damn cars!

:bang:

Cheers Alex.

I thought after I posted that cam box probably meant rocker cover - so yes it does make more sense now.

I've confused how the seal's gone though and that I have to buy a new rocker cover to fix it!

Is it likely to cause damage if I left it a couple moths to repair? Is that another stupid question? Just I was planning on taking some of the engine to pieces in August anyway... suppose it depends how much oil I've got coming through...

Damn cars!

:bang:

You should be fine mate, worst case scenario will be a misfire and drop off in power but unlikely.

It should be sorted though. :thumbs:

Alex.