Passenger door won't unlock when it's cold

350ash

I've only had my car for a week but I'm having problems with the passengers door. My car has been iced up for three of the four mornings this week and on each occasion the passenger door wouldn't open. Initially I thought it could be due to the window not dropping but then I noticed that it just won't unlock - I've tried pressing the key twice, using the central locking button switch on the driver door and attempting to press the locking switch on the inside of the passenger door, but none have worked. The switch on the inside of the door doesn't move at all.

Since I lift share to work I've only used the car on one of the days when the door wouldn't open (my passenger had to clamber across from the drivers side with me wincing in case he scratches anything as he climbs across!), on that day by the time I reached work (a 10 mile drive) I was able to unlock the door. I'm guessing the cold is doing something to the lock but I'm not sure what, the lock appears to work fine when it's not freezing outside but since I've not had the car for long I can't be sure. Has anyone else had this problem and does anybody know what's wrong or how to fix it? I've searched for other threads on this and although some people seem to have had a similar problem they don't appear to be quite the same thing.

Thanks

The lock mechanism freezes up and wont flick across - look the button linked to the locking mechanism as you press the button - it dont budge!

I have the same problems sometimes with my drivers door. Not sure how to fix it -I am sure I read a post somewhere about drilling holes so water can collect somewhere :wacko:

Hello mate,

I had a massive issue with my drivers door doing this a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't unlock from inside or out for over a week - I wasn't happy!

I found that the inner mechanism of the door handle had seized. I was able to fix it by liberally spraying WD40 through the gap created by lowering the window.

I can explain in more detail if you need me to. I ended up damaging my door card and heating up the mechanism with a hair dryer, whilst jimmying the dog-legged bar that pushes a lever down by the lock.

As I say - let me know if you need more info, but i would suggest re-greasing the lock mech (the latch that hooks over the hoop on the sill) and squirting the inside of the door handle with WD40 when the window is all the way down - not had the problem since thankfully.

Stu

It was in a massively cold snap we had early feb. The handle moved but didn't have the resistance it should of had. The internals were jammed so when you moved the handle it wasn't connecting.

Basically - Lube is the key mate! Lube it like there's no tomorrow.