Engineers Report for insurance

Fien

I'm just in the process of selling my car :byebye: which is registered as cat d. Someone who is coming to look at it has just rung saying that their insurance company wont cover them wihout a vehicle inspection report. I never got one when buying the car and had no problems insuring it, getting it through the MOT etc since ive owned it. I always thought that you never needed one for Cat d cars so has any one else come across this?

I've got no concerns that there's anything wrong with the car so would gladly put it through one if required. Does anyone know how you would get this done and how much it'd cost?

:thumbs:

Tell them to change insurance companies, or get the RAC to do an inspection on it if you want. Personally I wouldn't bother unless you're desperate to sell to this guy as you don't need said report, but if you've got no other takers and he's very keen it might be worth doing it.

In the olden days you could just repair the vehicle and put it back on the road. I think for the last 5 years or so you have to take the vehicle to a registered inspection garage before its put back on the road.

I've worked at a accident repair centre for the last 10+ years and to write the car off when its worth 10k+ it must have been a good impact.

I guess you know what Cat D means if you've bought the car but your looking around 60% off the vehicles value when the accident happed...

I'm sure DVLA would be able to point you to your nearest test centre if you rang them man... :thumbs:

Alexz

Only Cat C vehicles should need to go through the Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) with VOSA. Then you can apply for the logbook which should state on there that the vehicle has been a Cat C write off.

Cat D can be repaired and put straight back on the road assuming it has MOT etc. Nothing appears on the logbook and the majority of Insurance companies shouldn't ask for extra money or documents.

I stand corrected.... :scare::teeth: dont really understand why the C would need a VIC and the D not. The only difference is the C is over the retail value and the D is a large percentage of the retail value....? :shrug:

From what I understand all C,D & X Cat's need the VIC to go back on the road.

Alexz

I stand corrected.... :scare::teeth: dont really understand why the C would need a VIC and the D not. The only difference is the C is over the retail value and the D is a large percentage of the retail value....? :shrug:

From what I understand all C,D & X Cat's need the VIC to go back on the road.

Alexz

cat d's only need a mot to go straight back on the road and you wont get 60% off value more like 25%

thanks for the replies guys. this is becoming quite a pain to be fair!

glad to hear that skyinsurance didnt need one as i was insured with u until about a week ago and it was never mentioned!

the problem is that this guy is telling me his insurance company needs an engineers report which i'm guessing he actually means a VIC report. He said they only cost £50 but i found one place that said it was £260 which i reckon is a far more detailed report.

there's a VOSA test station in Wrexham that i can take it to which will do a VIC report for £42. Reckon that'll be what he's after!

Selling your car can be such a pain in the ar$e!! :headhurt:

My Zed was a Cat C..now restored to it's former glory after a lot of work, time and money :headhurt: The VIC check can be done at the nearest authorised VOSA place on appointment basis. It only takes 5 mins..even quicker than a MOT. All they look for is the valid chasis number VIN. U will need to produce a valid insurance certificate and MOT though.

My Zed was a Cat C..now restored to it's former glory after a lot of work, time and money :headhurt: The VIC check can be done at the nearest authorised VOSA place on appointment basis. It only takes 5 mins..even quicker than a MOT. All they look for is the valid chasis number VIN. U will need to produce a valid insurance certificate and MOT though.

thanks for the heads up. Probably wouldn't have took the mot or insurance with

me so would have had a wasted trip :thumbs: