Wipers stopped working

ATTAK Z

On my way home tonight in the pouring rain, my windscreen wipers stopped working causing me to stop at the side of the road with the hazards flashing. This happened 6 or 7 times.

They always stopped in the same position, at about the middle of the sweep. It felt like someone had switched off the power to the wiper motor.

It got so frequent that when I could safely do so, I parked up to phone roadside assistance and to give the car a rest.

After about 5 mins the rain had eased off and so I resumed my journey with the wipers on, knowing that if it happened again, the rain was not bad enough to completely obscure my vision.

Anyway it didn't happen again for the rest of my journey so all is well ............... for now

Does anyone have experience of a similar problem, know the cause or the fix .............. any comments would be greatly appreciated

Very odd one. Could you hear the motor going? I had a problem after some cold weather where the bolt had worked its way back slightly on my drivers wiper and it would be intermittent. Just needed torquing back up onto the spindle and it was fine. I could hear the motor trying to drive it still though. See if you can move the arms on the spindle when the car is parked up. Other option I guess is a loose connection somwhere :shrug:

Very odd one. Could you hear the motor going? I had a problem after some cold weather where the bolt had worked its way back slightly on my drivers wiper and it would be intermittent. Just needed torquing back up onto the spindle and it was fine. I could hear the motor trying to drive it still though. See if you can move the arms on the spindle when the car is parked up. Other option I guess is a loose connection somwhere :shrug:

No the motor stopped ... it was exactly the same effect as when you switch the car off with the wipers running - i.e. the wipers just stopped mid stroke ........... and I was still trying to drive the car .... extremely dangerous cos I couldn't see

I think I'll get some RainX on as soon as ...........

PS they always stopped at exactly the same point on the windscreen whether they were switched to fast, slow or various intermittent settings