A sign of things to come...

Beavis

Oh and did anyone see the news story about the scheme to allow teenagers to have a go at driving? The idea was they got to take a car around a carpark to learn how to handle a car. Some government representative plank said the scheme was a bad idea as it didnt mimik the roads properly :bang: The idea isnt to mimick the roads, its to let them get used to driving a car, so that when they learn to drive on the road, they can concentrate on that and not how to change gear :bangin: Usual goverment stupidity ruling our lives :surrender:

Have to agree with husky really, its easy to get upset when getting a ticket for speeding, as it feels like such an innocent way to break the law, but I'm pretty sure road accidents are one of the biggest killers in Britain, so it would seem fair to enforce it strictly. And even if its a money making exercise, they cant take any money off you if your not breaking the law?

Imagine if everyone who enjoyed driving fast was so put off by the speed camera's that they all decided to go to more track days, then the UK would possibly have more tracks crop up, and an even bigger and better track scene.

Imagine if forward facing cameras were actually able to read the plates of the 3% of road users who account for up to 50% of road deaths...

As before - on that road up to 80% of the deaths are motorcyclists. Forward facing speed cameras (as used by the average speed camera set-up) do not "catch" motorcyclists.

As before - on that road up to 80% of the deaths are motorcyclists. Forward facing speed cameras (as used by the average speed camera set-up) do not "catch" motorcyclists.

I'm sure I read on PH that the cameras will be reward facing because of this on that stretch of road ;) I dont think they are that stupid, not when it comes to losing revenue!

Have to agree with husky really, its easy to get upset when getting a ticket for speeding, as it feels like such an innocent way to break the law, but I'm pretty sure road accidents are one of the biggest killers in Britain, so it would seem fair to enforce it strictly. And even if its a money making exercise, they cant take any money off you if your not breaking the law?

Imagine if everyone who enjoyed driving fast was so put off by the speed camera's that they all decided to go to more track days, then the UK would possibly have more tracks crop up, and an even bigger and better track scene.

Imagine if forward facing cameras were actually able to read the plates of the 3% of road users who account for up to 50% of road deaths...

Its a good point, but at least the cars are taken care of, the bikes are another problem which may take another approach. I watched a program on those traffic cops that go out with stealth bikes and camera's and although the tactics were sneaky, the majority of bikers he caught where doing 100+ and lost their licenses outright. Perhaps they would use similar tactics?

I see there are a couple of posts by one individual stating that the cameras will read bikes plates, but I havent seen a single SPECS set up yet that is rear facing. I am prepared to be wrong, but I also wont be surprised if they are so stupid as to instal forward facing cameras either.

Guys, I highly doubt they will miss the oppotunity to get revenue from bikers.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/n ... and_fiddle

The rear-facing cameras will scan number plates, and measure average speed over many miles, meaning those who just hit the brakes as they pass signs and cameras can still be caught.

Its a good point, but at least the cars are taken care of, the bikes are another problem which may take another approach. I watched a program on those traffic cops that go out with stealth bikes and camera's and although the tactics were sneaky, the majority of bikers he caught where doing 100+ and lost their licenses outright. Perhaps they would use similar tactics?

In which case, why not put "normal" cameras in places where the vast majority of accidents are not bikes, have a few more stealth bikes on the Cat & Fiddle (that can catch cars as well as bikes) and spend the rest of the rumoured £2m budget for these cameras on filling in a few potholes which are themselves dangerous.

Thats before we get onto the discussion about how the addition of several bright yellow cameras will enhance the beauty of a National Park. :lol:

This is kinda related, when you get the average speed cameras on dual carriageways there are two cameras setup on the same pole.

I have been told that each camera is only connected to the same side camera along the route, sounds like rubbish to me as it would mean as you approach a camera you just switch lanes.

Anyone else heard this?

This is kinda related, when you get the average speed cameras on dual carriageways there are two cameras setup on the same pole.

I have been told that each camera is only connected to the same side camera along the route, sounds like rubbish to me as it would mean as you approach a camera you just switch lanes.

Anyone else heard this?

I think its true. If on a motorway you just swap lanes and then your average speed is not recorded afaik. :)