Really light steering since alignment...

kazman

Only had my Zed about 3 weeks, but after being a good boy and getting a 4 wheel alignment done on it the steering has gone really, really light. Some more detail for you -

Took car in for alignment. Car felt ok afterwards but steering wheel not centred.

Took back a few days later, they said they rechecked everything, all looks ok but problem could be down to uneven tyre wear. Whe i drove off steering was off centre and very light.

Had new tyres fitted on all 4 corners, still no better (not helped that they overinflated the fronts to about 40psi).

Went to another garage who did not have 4 wheel alignment equipment, but put it on the laser tracking machine (4 lasers, 1 at each corner), and showed me that it was all screwed up. They recommended another garage locally that do 4 wheel alignment.

I have now booked in with them, but i am wondering what part of an incorrect alignment set up could be causing the very light steering feel i now have? I have zero confidence in the front of the car, no feedback etc.

I wish i had never had the work done now tbh.

FYI the garage who performed the alignment "corrected" the rear left camber and the front toe (too much on there before). When i went in to complain they simply told me that it was probably down to worn suspension components and the effect of tolerance stacking ( i think rubbish for the latter).

Anyway, bit of a rant here... if anyone knows what part of an alignment is likely to make the front end feel like you are driving on glass i would love to know! Hopefully the garage i am taking it to tomorrow will sort it out :thumbs:

i would be naming and shaming the place that by the sounds of thing are talking out of there bum. Keep us updated and hopefully the new place will get it sorted. I would get a print out of the work they have carried out with the adjustments they need to do and take that back to the original garage that screwed it up

Looking over the after settings they gave me it would all appear fine (more difference between the front left and front right camber than desireable but this is non adjustable). My concern is that the readings they have given me are not representative of the work they have performed... or all this talk of the Zed having meaty steering has been a lie and they are supposed to be very light?

Ok, so here are my current readings (all in degree minute, which is where i am trouble comparing my toe settings)

Front -

Camber left = -1.13 right = -0.03 (not ideal but nothing they can do about this)

Caster left = 8.04 right = 8.13

toe left = 0.03 right = 0.03 (remember this is in degree minutes)

Rear

Camber left = -1.49 right = -1.42

toe left = 0.05 right = 0.06

The only settings changed other than front toe was the rear left camber, which previously measured -2.30

Cheers

Well the other garage checked the alignment today, it was a mile out. Basically everything the previous garage had adjusted had been set wrong. Now the car drives great and the steering wheel is centred again.

At the moment I'm too angry to know what to do, I should demand a refund from the previous garage but I know they will try and squirm out of it, claiming I should have taken it back to them (for a third time). The fact is though, that the geometry settings they showed me (and then reconfirmed on the second visit) were just not right! They were even telling me it was worn components etc on my car...

Well the other garage checked the alignment today, it was a mile out. Basically everything the previous garage had adjusted had been set wrong. Now the car drives great and the steering wheel is centred again.

At the moment I'm too angry to know what to do, I should demand a refund from the previous garage but I know they will try and squirm out of it, claiming I should have taken it back to them (for a third time). The fact is though, that the geometry settings they showed me (and then reconfirmed on the second visit) were just not right! They were even telling me it was worn components etc on my car...

can only assume their machine needs calibrated and they are to ignorant to realise

i'd defo go back and calmly ask for a full refund. If still no joy KICK OFF!!!!

Thanks chaps, your right of course.

If they say no I'm guessing I should go the trading standards route? Anyway it's my problem. Glad the car drives great again, hugely annoyed the drivers seat motor has broken now. This is shaping up to be a money pit (not entirely down to the cars fault mind)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...