Euro Reg Flags?

Anubis

Hey hey,

bit of an odd question, but here goes...

If driving abroad (via France and so on), obviously our reg plates aren't the same. I've noticed that some plates have a Euro country indetifier flag with "GB" under it and some don't (like mine).

Does this make any difference when on the continent?

I know we see cars from random places over here with no "flags" on the reg plate, but we might be more relaxed about it.

Is it a legal requirement to have this on your car if another country?

551px-British_car_registration_plate_labels.svg.png

Answered my own question - sorry:

British number plates conform for the most part to the 1998 European standard design, with black lettering on a white or yellow background. The standard design also incorporates a blue strip on the left side of the plate with the European Union symbol and the country identification code of the member state – this aspect of the design is not compulsory in the UK, and many drivers choose not to display the European Union symbol. The country identifier design is not compliant with the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (Annex 4) which requires the classic white oval design to be displayed. Within the EU this requirement is ignored in favour of EU law.

If you have the GB flag on your plate you are fine for driving abroad as it is - if no flag is on your plate, you technically need a GB sticker on the back of the car. Only applies to the rear of the car (no requirement on the front for this).

+1 I just had a magnetic sticker on the back and had no problems apart from being searched for immigrants :lol: