Dead ps3 :(

steve-r

Absolutely gutted, was about to settle down for a good bout on mw2, and low and be hold the yellow light of death :byebye:

So off to youtube I go, and 20 mins later the ps3 is in bits on my table, its amazing how many bits are in those black boxes :scare:

Now all I need is a hot air gun to warm up the few components on the board, and fingers crossed all will be well :teeth:

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem, and how they got on.

Was is this yellow light thing about and why does it happened?

Had an abused PS1 for 3years and a PS2 for 6 and no probs, last xmas go the PS3 will I be looking to replace it any time soon?

Those thing are supposed to be an improuvement

I think its a overheat problem and Sony use a crappy heat sink compound, but saying that mine is the 1st gen (40gb). Its been ok for nearly 3yrs now so hasnt done to bad in comparison to what I have read about. I think the new slim ones are supposed to be a lot better cooling, But maybe still a bit to early to tell.

Its just down to poor heat sink and dry joints on the motherboard.

I bought my PS3 brandnew and after just 3 weeks it died, I took the hard drive out, a Seagate 40GB one, and replaced it with a 120GB Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" hard drive.

Ever since then, my PS3 hasn't missed a beat.

Took my hd out but still wouldnt boot,so need to try this fix, but now you have mentioned the hd you have think ill look into changing mine, more storage is always a plus :thumbs:

Where did you find your 120gb?

ps. hope you realise now you said yours never missed a beat........its going to happen :scare:

I bought my PS3 brandnew and after just 3 weeks it died, I took the hard drive out, a Seagate 40GB one, and replaced it with a 120GB Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" hard drive.

Took my hd out but still wouldnt boot,so need to try this fix, but now you have mentioned the hd you have think ill look into changing mine, more storage is always a plus :thumbs:

ps. hope you realise now you said yours never missed a beat........its going to happen :scare:

Well, it needs the HDD to boot and set itself up again.

Once you add the new HDD, it will install the PS3 OS onto it.

Be aware tho that you don't get a HDD too large in capacity, because depenting on the number of platters use, the thickness will vary. Too big and it won't fit the caddy properly.

I took my current 120GB drive from a portable HDD for my PC, but you should be able to use any 2.5" laptop drive, just make sure it's a SATA interface

You could start looking here and see if you might fancy one http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Har ... ATA-SATAII

Well, it needs the HDD to boot and set itself up again.

Once you add the new HDD, it will install the PS3 OS onto it.

Be aware tho that you don't get a HDD too large in capacity, because depenting on the number of platters use, the thickness will vary. Too big and it won't fit the caddy properly.

I took my current 120GB drive from a portable HDD for my PC, but you should be able to use any 2.5" laptop drive, just make sure it's a SATA interface

You could start looking here and see if you might fancy one http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Har ... ATA-SATAII

:thumbs: well defo something to think about

I bought a 1tb external hard drive for my 60gb ps3!!! Never run out of space now. 1000's of albums and over a 100 films stored on it and still not even half full :thumbs:

do you use a usb hub,as its a pain with only 2 usb's, dongle needed for keyboard, dongle needed for bluray remote, usb needed to charge controller :blink:

I bought a 1tb external hard drive for my 60gb ps3!!! Never run out of space now. 1000's of albums and over a 100 films stored on it and still not even half full :thumbs:

do you use a usb hub,as its a pain with only 2 usb's, dongle needed for keyboard, dongle needed for bluray remote, usb needed to charge controller :blink:

I got 4 usb ports on the front of mine so no need for a hub. Have to say the western digital 1tb notebook is one of the best and most useful things i have ever bought. :thumbs:

Oh and good to see you got it working again :clap: