To sell or not too sell !!!

Milly

Evening Gents & Ladies,

Bit of a dilemma I thought I'd run past you all !

Bought my Zed November 2008, an 05 plate GT 'gunmetal grey'with 20K on it. Absolutely love it to death and never had any problems with it whatsoever :D

BUT

Since then I've been promoted and been on the road much more . . . and just over a year later I've put on 33K extra miles (53K now), gone through 8 tyres, had it serviced when it should have been, etc, etc.

Now, although I get a car allowance I can only claim 15p a mile through the company (although if the tax office sort themselves out I'll get a tax rebate too) and coupled with tyres/servicing, etc it's costing me more money per mile than what I get back from the company.

SO whats a guy to do . . .

1. Sell up while I can still get a reasonable price (mid mileage tidy Zed) for it and buy something to crunch the miles?

2. Be faced with the loss on running costs and residual value I'll face in 12 months when it'll have nearly 100K on it !!

Before you say keep it as a weekend car . . . I'm a bit of a dubber so have a couple of weekend toys already kicking about.

It's driving me mad ??

What to do ?!?!?!?!?

p.s. whats a 05 GT with 50K worth these days ??

Hi, bit of a dubber myself with a '75 beetle :) I faced a similar dilema although i'm self employed and not so much mileage. I think most cars get hit with depreciation with mileage and tbh i reckon you'd be happier doing the mileage in a zed than a diesel hut.I'm deffo keeping mine as it's got a great grin factor going to and from work(best part!!!!)..............keep it.

:wacko: confuzzed, is there one girl or two...

anyhow. if the money doesnt work out and you cant afford it then you have to sell, simple. if you can afford it, its whether you can justify the extra cash being spent as a luxury. but! you have to remember that commuting round in the zed is a hell of alot nicer than a diesel astra

Ok before I answer your Zed question!

1960 356

1970 Bug

2000 T4

Pictures please a 356 ?? A genuine one -wow was my all time fave car for years still is!!

1970 Bug - very nice - Pictures please (got a 1971 1300 myself - resting before a restore (20 years so far!!)

2000 T4 - van / camper / surf bus???? (got a 1998 T4 van myself! ;) )

Anyway just got distracted there :lol:

I am in the same boat as you - I do 700 miles to work every week. Had my ragtop for 2 years. Bought it with 7.5K on the clock and sold it with 53K miles .

Towards the end it was the running cost and impending arrival of baby zed (soon) that forced my hand. :surrender:

Love the Zed but with that round the clock mileage every week it was just bleeding my bank account dry.

Like you I have ahem :blush: other cars at home so cant justify such an expensive white elephant sat there doing nothing.

I was lucky to get full book price for it but it still hurts knowing how much I paid for it 2 years ago!

If you really love your Zed -just keep it and run it - they will always be a market for them but once the cost of running it outweighs the ownership fun the decision is made :wacko:

I can of course recommend the Chrysler 300C - yes its not to everyones taste - but for the first time in months I actually have money in the bank before payday and its not gone to the Chancellor on tax like the Zed would have! :shrug:

I get no allowance from my work to run my car for work purposes so I would consider myself really fortunate if they subsidised the cost. However, its sounds like you do far more mileage than I so it comes down to the balance of how much you would miss it against cost. I always say to people don't buy a zed if your going to stress about how much it costs you - we all know they ain't cheap to keep on the road. :thumbs:

:wacko: confuzzed, is there one girl or two...

anyhow. if the money doesnt work out and you cant afford it then you have to sell, simple. if you can afford it, its whether you can justify the extra cash being spent as a luxury. but! you have to remember that commuting round in the zed is a hell of alot nicer than a diesel astra

+1