Good deal, but category C! Worth it?

The Dr!

Hi all, I am looking to buy a 350 and have found a good deal from a private sellar near me. It is a 2005 GT, with only 19823 miles on the clock. The only problem is that is has been registered as a category C. I emailed the owner and he said the problem was as follows;

The car was driven through a flooded road and water was sucked into the engine via the air intake. The engine was fully drained and lubricated by an approved garage, new spark plugs etc. A nissan dealer inspected it in full and no faults were found. The repair was done by the previous owner. Current owner has had the car for 9 months and is selling due to moving abroad.

Would this be worth touching with a barge pole? What affect might an ex category C have on insurance premium? Is there anything particularly relating to this problem I should be looking/listening for?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, someone at work had a black '05 plate written off when he sucked water into the engine last year, don't suppose it's a GT Pack with Rays & Alezan interior, think the mileage was 15-20k was it? Hmm, I've just re-read your post and noticed the mileage, sounds suspiciously similar. If it is the same they've probably changed the plate & logbook but I can try and get the plate & service location and see if they match? Don't suppose the current owner picked it up somewhere near Reading / Basingstoke?

Cat C makes no difference to insurance anyway, it doesn't have to be declared.

Check for VIC check paperwork, if it doesn't have one it's not road worthy.

You can get a low mileage engine supplied AND fitted for under £2000, so the worst case (providing all running gear etc is OK) is a £2000 fork out at some stage.

I've had plenty of Cat C and D cars in the past, although avoided them when spending more than a couple of grand as the risk increases.