Near miss...

Wookiee22

I'm currently over in Germany, where the weather is pretty much as shocking as it is back in the UK, although the locals are generally better prepared for it.

The zed has remained pretty much stationary for the past week or so but cleared a load of snow off it this morning as I needed to get to a garage about four miles down the road. Had a lack of traction getting to the front gate (traction control kicked in 2 or 3 times) but I figured out on the gritted roads I'd be ok so long as I took it easy.

All was going perfectly fine until, after about 2 miles, I was moving into lane to turn left at a crossroads. Must have hit a patch of ice or something because I lost traction completely and found myself skidding diagonally, on a line that would have taken me into oncoming traffic. :scare:

Fortunately I managed to regain sufficent control to avoid this and instead came to an undignified halt by contacting the concrete kerbstone separating the lanes at the edge of the junction. Moving relatively slowly at that point and so managed to get away with just a nasty bit of kerbing on my left front alloy. Could have been a whole lot worse.

Needless to say I turned back at the very next opportunity and limped my way back home. The irony of the situation? I was going to the garge to look for snow tyres. :doh:

That's very lucky mate ..glad you got away alright ...

I've read a lot of threads recently where people have had crashes in their zeds ... I've been extra careful recently ...

Really can't wait for summer so that I can start driving the Zed how it's meant to be again!

Lucky escape mate. I bought a little runaround and the Zed has been on the drive for a week. I attempted to turn it around today so it wasn't nosy parked. Mistake! Had 4 neighbours help push me back onto the drive and even now I'm partially blocking the pavement. The Zed is definitely a summer car!

Yeah, it's staying where it is until this place thaws out!

Hopefully my Vortech kit will turn up soon, then the car will be in bits for a while so I can't even be tempted to try!

Will have to look at getting the alloy refurbed though - currently it looks like I can't park!

glad you got back alright, hope you get the refurb all sorted.

you were that close, you might as well have finished the job. :shrug:

Yeah, perhaps :) . However decided that the sensible option would be to cut my losses and then give them a call in the week - get them to deliver!

what did you order in the end?

I was going there to have a look at the options. Instead I guess I'll just discuss it over the phone. There seems to be lot more choice - they're geared up a lot better for such things as it can be a legal requirement.

A lot of the locals are running vredesteins. Think they may be the ones I'll go for.

cheap set of 17" jdms would do the job.

Could be tricky getting hold of them over here though!

From a quick search, F 225/50/17, R 235/50/17.

If I could get a set of steelies that would fit over the brembos and run those tyres I should be laughing. Although the look will be :thumbdown: