Won't unlock!?

cpk

I’m hoping someone has had a similar problem and can offer some advice…

This is the first time I have had my car in freezing temperatures so don’t know if it has happened before….

I went to unlock this morning and the hazards flashed and there was a clunking noise but none of the doors (including boot) would open. I tried several times and nothing. I put the key in the lock and unlocked it; it clicked but still wouldn’t open. From what I could see the lock-switch on the inside didn’t move indicating the lock wasn’t physically unlocking. I’m hoping it is some water in the mechanism that has frozen and when I go back this evening it will be fine and I’ll WD40 it to stop it happening again.

Anyone had a similar experience? Is it symptomatic of anything else?

Any advice/help is appreciated!

It will most likely be condensation on the mechanism - remember its just a lowly solenoid - and if its not been greased regularly you can get this kind of bahaviour - all I can suggest is pour some warm (not boiling!) water on the door about the middle of the door or use a hairdrier on the door to raise the ambient temperture - then wait a while and try a few time with the key not the remote - eventually it will free up - is the boot locked also? Maybe worth climbing in that way ??

Hope this helps - ps dont use WD40 (its p$sswater waste of time - its just parafin - use some engine oil mixed with it or white spirit to smear on the lock mechanism on the door?

Hope this helps? :bounce:

Had this problem the start of this year with my older car. I later found out that my girfriend tried to use de icer on the locks. Which is a huge no no. This kept on happening as the de icer kept on freezing on the locks. used a gadget that I got one christmas that you tick in the lock and it heats up the device. never had a problem after that.

Hi,

That does help, thanks.

Unfortunately it was all the locks, boot and passenger side so i couldn't get access.

Which is strange. Do the other locks only open after confirmation that the drivers door has opened?

Would Lithium Grease suffice?

Cheers

As far as I know they all open at the same time.

Lithuim or copper grease would be ideal yes.

Have you managed to get in it yet?

I've not seen one of those heaters for the locks in years do they still make them?

Remember in winter any weaknesses in the electrics will manifest themselves on cold days like today - so maybe we are looking in the wrong place - ensure you check the battery connections are good and tight and with some of that grease smeared on the contacts. :thumbs: