Wierd noise from underneath the car

gzhou1024

Hi guys,

I've just became the owner of a 56 350Z. As much as I love everything about it, there is a little thing that started to drive me nuts already...

When ever I'm driving, at low speed especially, I can hear a very strange noise from the rear of the car around wheel arch area, even with all windows closed. I'm not sure how to describe it, it almost sounds like I'm driving on lose gravel surface and the tyres are throwing small stone chips against the wheel arches. :scare: but of course the road surface was perfectly smooth. And even more strangely, the noise is still there when the car is completely stationary with the engine turned off. It only goes away after a few minutes.

Am I experiencing the infamous rear axle 'clicking' issue?

Or do you think this can be something different? Any input is very much welcomed! :blush:

Thanks!

The clicking rear axle from my experience is only a noise to be heard when moving forwards or backwards whilst in gear, I noticed the noise on mine never sounded when I took my car out of gear and simply coasted. I had the CV joint replaced under warranty to rectify, so doubt very much this is the case with yours if the noise is apparent when stationery.

Is it expansion and contraction from your exhaust? (does the ticking stop after the car has cooled?)

Is it expansion and contraction from your exhaust? does the ticking stop after the car has cooled?

The ticking does stop after the car has cooled, i.e. I never hear it when I drive it first thing in the morning. That would be REALLY confusing..

I think exhaust may as well be the problem here. When I walked around the car, the noise is coming from not just the rear wheels area, but also middle part of the car. But I don't really expect the exhaust to be doing any work after the engine is turned off? since it is only NA, not a turbo car..

The car has been serviced recently in July and has had full main dealer service history.

Do you hammer it when you drive? After I've been out in mine, if the window in the front room is cracked or open, I can hear my exhaust and brakes cooling from inside my house for a while due to the heat that passes through them.

If your car is making sound when it's still and un-running, I would be surprised if it was a mechanical fault as nothing should be in motion??

Get under it next time and see what you can see?

Is it expansion and contraction from your exhaust? does the ticking stop after the car has cooled?

The ticking does stop after the car has cooled, i.e. I never hear it when I drive it first thing in the morning. That would be REALLY confusing..

I think exhaust may as well be the problem here. When I walked around the car, the noise is coming from not just the rear wheels area, but also middle part of the car. But I don't really expect the exhaust to be doing any work after the engine is turned off? since it is only NA, not a turbo car..

The car has been serviced recently in July and has had full main dealer service history.

...As in the metal expanding when heated and contracting when cooling. Not 'working' as such but non the less altering state slightly.

E.g. heating a bi-metallic strip that flexes and curls when hot and returns to it's original state when cooled, just like one of those 'mood fish' you get in a christmas cracker :bounce:

Thanks guys for all your inputs...I had another go today and for whatever reason the noise is barely there..

Perhaps it is just me being paranoid...Let's hope it is just the metal around the exhaust system contracting or expanding..

If it does happen again for a prolong period of time, i will take it down to the dealer to check it out.

Cheers!